Image Map Image Map

Thread: What is it with single piece laptop bottoms?

Blog Entries

Default What is it with single piece laptop bottoms?

I don't understand why more and more laptop manufacturers are requiring you to remove the entire bottom of the laptop in order to do simple tasks like change RAM or HDD. They bill this as simple.. but it isn't. Not like Apple where you undo screws and simply lift the bottom away, the PC laptop makers insist on an armada of hidden plastic tabs that are always fighting or just a little too tight in places and sometimes invite you to put just enough pressure to break something.

What was so wrong with having an access door? If her gonna try to rip off Apple design elements at least go the whole 9 yards.

Blog Entries

Cheaper to make the molds I would think.

GO try and replace the hard drive on an Apple iBook G3/G4 and see what you think of the simple Apple way.

My last Thinkpad (T400) is easy enough to get to the RAM and HD, so are the models before that.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

What gets me more then anything is all the different size screws that come along with one piece bottoms.

I believe they do this because it cheaper.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

I have a Japanese NEC laptop/notebook where the bottom is a single piece. It's made of a lithium/magnesium alloy and extremely lightweight. But it comes off just by removing a few screws (four or five), so it's no problem at all, it's very serviceable. The reason for the single piece, in this case, is the weight. Having separate panels would make it difficult to keep the weight down - the weight of the 13" notebook isn't much more than for a 10" tablet.

The ones with the snap in case (most of them) are a pain, but it is surprising how you can get them unclipped with a credit card run carefully along that edge. I had a recent HP one that look quite a bit of time, but I finally did get it with patience.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I have a Japanese NEC laptop/notebook where the bottom is a single piece. It's made of a lithium/magnesium alloy and extremely lightweight. But it comes off just by removing a few screws (four or five), so it's no problem at all, it's very serviceable. The reason for the single piece, in this case, is the weight. Having separate panels would make it difficult to keep the weight down - the weight of the 13" notebook isn't much more than for a 10" tablet.
    Good point, you would save a little weight with a one piece bottom.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    The ones with the snap in case (most of them) are a pain, but it is surprising how you can get them unclipped with a credit card run carefully along that edge. I had a recent HP one that look quite a bit of time, but I finally did get it with patience.
    A guitar pick is quite handy. There are numerous sellers on FleaBay offering iPod tool kits that have plastic tools for opening snap cases.

Blog Entries

Those plastic tools don't last too long.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Those plastic tools don't last too long.
    I've torn up a few myself. Cheap, tho.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/i...ol/IF145-335-2
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/i...-6/IF145-123-2