Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring Compaq Portable 386

Quote Originally Posted by MrArgent View Post
    How'd you get it using a cF card? I tried to fit my Portable 386 with both a cF card/adapter and DOM but it ultimately refused to speak reliably to anything but a mechanical HDD. Stock IDE controller.
    It was surprisingly easy - you have to get a powered CF card to IDE adapter (the power plug is a 4 pin type that 3.5 floppies use), then connect the HDD IDE cable to a separate working computer that has a floppy. If you boot DOS off a floppy, you can run FDISK, and it should see the drive - create a dos partition. Then what I did was FDisk /MBR to create the right master boot record info, then do FORMAT /S then I think I also did SYS A: C:

When that's all done, you will need to boot the 386 with the Compaq boot disk (Find it here in the pull down menu - while you are here you can also get the original compaq DOS if you like, but it will run 6.22 just fine) I found that using a non HD floppy 3.5 inch (720k formatted) worked best, formatted from another computer

Inside the diagnostics, hit setup, then make sure you change the fixed drive type to something a little smaller than your CF card (at least this worked for me) - I had a 512 MB so I chose type 38 (I think that tells the BIOS / CMOS my drive is something like 318 MB) and its been working like a charm ever since. Only HDD error I get is if I run the compaq diagnostics and then it tells me the hard drive is not configured properly, but other than that it works fine (also can remove the CF and using a usb reader add files to it from my 2015 macbook air, and no problems afterwards)

Let me know if that works

Huh...on non-physical media mine just couldn't touch the partition table under any circumstances, even when properly formed ones had been provided by other machines.

Quote Originally Posted by MrArgent View Post
    Huh...on non-physical media mine just couldn't touch the partition table under any circumstances, even when properly formed ones had been provided by other machines.
    I read somewhere that certain CF -> IDE adapters don't work as well as others, or maybe the CF card is too new, maybe try with an older CF card.