Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are Dallas DS12887A & DS12887+ interchangeable?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Why not simply dig into the epoxy and solder in a new battery? Even for those boards with soldered-in RTCs, it isn't that difficult.

I've done the mod before too, I built the ALT12877's because I was short a few Dallas chips, I totally butchered one doing the mod, got a little overzealous with the Dremel, and another one I had didn't work at all, even before the mod attempt, so I was short 2 of them for the systems I had.
    The 3rd ALT12887 I built went into a laptop, there was not enough clearance in the laptop to do my normal "battery holder hot glued to the top of the Dallas chip mod", and it was pretty limited in places I could mount a battery holder elsewhere, so the ALT is a good fit for that, it is lower profile than even the original Dallas chips (from the looks of it Glitch's solution is too).
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

The GW-12887-1 is about the same height as the original Dallas module, I forget if it's slightly shorter or not.

For me, the purpose of these repair boards is that it's much faster for me to repair a bunch of dead modules at once with them. I can make a few quick cuts with the hack saw, the way I do it actually *requires* cutting the old leads instead of being careful around them. I pull the modules and replace with sockets anyway, with the Hakko 472D desoldering station, it's very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    The GW-12887-1 is about the same height as the original Dallas module, I forget if it's slightly shorter or not.

For me, the purpose of these repair boards is that it's much faster for me to repair a bunch of dead modules at once with them. I can make a few quick cuts with the hack saw, the way I do it actually *requires* cutting the old leads instead of being careful around them. I pull the modules and replace with sockets anyway, with the Hakko 472D desoldering station, it's very easy.
    Yeah a desoldering gun is on my short list of things to get, I have been using braid, that's a pain in the butt to desolder a chip like that LOL
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.