Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tandy 1000 SX does not start up completely any help is appreciated

Post Tandy 1000 SX does not start up completely any help is appreciated

I have a Tandy 1000 SX that has not been used for many years and now when I turn it on I do not get the normal start up message but a couple lines on the monitor that are not complete (see attachment). I would like to get this fix but do not know where or who repairs Tandy computers today. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I had to guess, I'd say dead ram chips. The "Writing 00 Reading FF" is a big red flag. Dead ram chips / empty sockets are pulled high, hence 0xFF

Blog Entries

It's a memory error. If the system has been stored for many years, heating and cooling cycles may have wiggled some chip pins out of their sockets. Try reseating all socketed chips to see if that helps; if not, try multiple power cycles to see if you can get a complete error on the screen (some letters are missing).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Thanks everyone for all your help but I have tried replacing 8 ram chips (IC,4164-150,DIP-16, DRAM, 64KX1,150 NS from Jameco) twice with new ones, reseating all socketed chips and turning the computer on and off but no liuck but I do have a better Video display. I really do not know where to go with this now and anyone with any idea I would appreciate your input. I am adding a picture of the board showing the 8 chips on the right side that I replaced and a updated picture of the video error.

IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0508(1).jpg

Blog Entries

It is still presenting as a memory error. While it might be one or more loose solder joints, it's possible at least one of the memory chips that you got from Jameco is bad. Try this procedure: The memory error in your screenshot has a segment and an offset where the error was detected. The segment is not visible in your screenshot, but the offset is -- try rearranging the memory chips to see if the segment and offset change. Also try rebooting a few times to see if they change even though you didn't move any chips.

If the location of the error "follows" a chip, then you can narrow down which chip is bad.
    If the location of the error changes all the time even if you don't move any chips, you have a more serious motherboard or other component problem and might need someone with experience to reflow some solder or troubleshoot the board.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

This is a 1000SX? I thought they took more RAM than 128k. If you put in only 8x4164's that would only be 64k. I wouldn't think such a configuration was even ever supported or would work.

The RAM that was in it was 4164's? Only in that one bank? When I look up the SX specifically, this was supposed to a be a later machine with 384k that could be expanded to 640k on the motherboard. Your picture does not show that ability...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    This is a 1000SX? I thought they took more RAM than 128k. If you put in only 8x4164's that would only be 64k. I wouldn't think such a configuration was even ever supported or would work.

The RAM that was in it was 4164's? Only in that one bank? When I look up the SX specifically, this was supposed to a be a later machine with 384k that could be expanded to 640k on the motherboard. Your picture does not show that ability...
    You are correct sir, the 1000SX came standard with 384 KB. (at least mine did)
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting