Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gateway 2000 4SX-33 memory?

My anal retentiveness is telling me to get four sticks of 8MB... thank you for the info! I sincerely appreciate it.

Roger
    Always interested in Atari 8-bit and 486/early Pentium era software & hardware!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I can't see the part numbers on the memory chips, so I can't tell you if those are FPM or EDO, but I can tell you that those are parity modules.
    I thought EDO RAM was only applicable to the first wave of Pentiums? True or false?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I thought EDO RAM was only applicable to the first wave of Pentiums? True or false?
    Mostly true, though IIRC, a few of the late Compaq 486s that came across my workbench had EDO...

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Intel made motherboards with EDO right up until the end of the Pentium MMX. I know because I had several Pentium MMX 200s with four SIMM slots for EDO and no DIMMs.

Compaq also had a few weird Pentium II workstations which had EDO DIMMs, which were weird 5v 168 pin modules that were a whole lot slower than normal 168 pin SDRAM. A bunch of Apple Powermacs (like the Performa 6360, 6400 and 6500) also used it, which made upgrading their RAM expensive.

The first Pentium Pro supermicro motherboard I installed had EDO, and I put 64MB of parity RAM into it, for ECC. 440FX chipset as I recall.

Sun Ultra 5 and 10 workstations, as well as Cisco 12000-series GRP modules used those 168 pin 5V EDO DIMMS too, up to 512MB per DIMM.
    Last edited by lowen; November 2nd, 2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: I hate android autoincorrect.....
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

So I got the memory today and installed it... the memory test during start up only shows half of the memory that I installed (32MB shows as 16MB... if I remove two sticks, 16MB shows as 8MB) and I get prompted to go into to setup (F2) and correct the memory size. Once I do that, I still get the error message on start up. It shows 640K in base memory so the extended number is what I'm changing... any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Roger

After looking at the memory that I was told I needed, it looks a lot different than what was in the computer. Here's the new memory that I am trying to install:

20181105_173647.jpg

Is there anyone that can tell me the "right" type of memory that I need for this computer?!?

Thank you,
    Roger
    Last edited by dafivehole; November 5th, 2018 at 04:50 PM.