Image Map Image Map

Thread: The EPSON HX-20 Keyboard

Default The EPSON HX-20 Keyboard

Hello,

I have recently begun repairing an HX-20. The unit is in very good condition, except for an issue affecting the keyboard. My model came with the SkiWriter ROM installed in the open 5th slot. Thanks to this addition, I am able to test the machine. See, the keyboard does not work for 6 total keys. For the uninitiated, the HX-20 boots to a prompt for 1. MONITOR, 2. BASIC, or whatever further options you have installed. In my case, the following keys do not work: 1, 2, A, Q, Z, and Y. Therefore, I am unable to boot into basic, and would have believed that the entire keyboard had a problem if I was unable to boot into SkiWriter.

OK, here are 2 questions:

1) Has anyone seen this issue before with the HX-20 or otherwise?
    2) Does anyone have the manual or know where one would be for the SkiWriter software?

The testing I have so far done:
    - cleaned the contacts connecting the keyboard to the machine
    - searched (inconclusively) for water damage to the machine near the left side (where 1, 2, A, Q, Z are). However, this is a false hypothesis anyway, because the left-shift key works flawlessly.

I therefore believe that the issue is electrical, although I don't see any physical evidence of this. If anyone knows about this machine, it would be great to have a conversation. Thanks!

I can't figure out how to edit my original post.

BUT I found out a neat and in retrospect obvious trick for circumventing the lack of the 1 and 2 keys: NUMLOCK! The HX-20 supports it, and I am even able to use it in the menu to get to basic or the monitor.

Unfortunately, I still need my numbers and the keys A, Q, Y and Z to work eventually...