Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking for a good case for a sleeper build.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Default Looking for a good case for a sleeper build.

Right now I have a early P4 class xenon case for my main system. Its been modified to fit a PICMG system and I'm running out or room and can't keep the system all to cool without putting loud fans in the case. Its about the size of a bigger mid tower.

I'm looking to get a bigger early to mid 90s server/mainframe case. like that used in the bigger ALR system or NCR system 3500.
    Can anyone here give me some ideas of old servers with really big cases to look for?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; October 31st, 2018 at 06:47 AM.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Sent you a PM. I don't have pictures yet, but the one I have looks kind of like this:
    https://picclick.com/MICRON-M45HI-VI...429818908.html

I've got an Beige Full Tower INWIN ATX Case with (1) 3.5" Floppy Bay and (5) 5.25" External Bays and (6) 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bays that is in really nice shape, but No Power Supply.

The only thing in the Shipping might be a bit steep, and I don't have the Original Box for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclops View Post
    I've got an Beige Full Tower INWIN ATX Case with (1) 3.5" Floppy Bay and (5) 5.25" External Bays and (6) 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bays that is in really nice shape, but No Power Supply.

The only thing in the Shipping might be a bit steep, and I don't have the Original Box for it.
    Shipping is not a big deal if you know what your doing. But did INWIN make server/workstation cases in the early/mid 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by mediasponge View Post
    Sent you a PM. I don't have pictures yet, but the one I have looks kind of like this:
    https://picclick.com/MICRON-M45HI-VI...429818908.html
    Pm'd
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Shipping is not a big deal if you know what your doing. But did INWIN make server/workstation cases in the early/mid 90s?
    DSCF2116.jpgDSCF2117.jpgDSCF2118.jpg

The Case Plastic isn't quite as Yellow as it appears in these pictures, I think the Camera Flash enhances it a bit.

Its got the Slide Out Motherboard Tray as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclops View Post
    DSCF2116.jpgDSCF2117.jpgDSCF2118.jpg

The Case Plastic isn't quite as Yellow as it appears in these pictures, I think the Camera Flash enhances it a bit.

Its got the Slide Out Motherboard Tray as well.
    Looks nice, but not quite as big as I'm looking for. I'll keep it in mind.

Blog Entries

Send me a PM so that I remember tomorrow to take a picture of one I have. It's probably exactly what you want. It's as tall as the tallest ATclone tower case, but it's a lot wider and deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Send me a PM so that I remember tomorrow to take a picture of one I have. It's probably exactly what you want. It's as tall as the tallest ATclone tower case, but it's a lot wider and deeper.
    will do. I'm not in a rush so if you don't have time that's ok.
    The case I have now works, but its limiting my upgrade paths and is not far from being borderline acceptable for temps.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; October 31st, 2018 at 10:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Looks nice, but not quite as big as I'm looking for. I'll keep it in mind.
    That's a pretty large case, but cooling would suck if you put something modern in there. I have a couple of them.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    That's a pretty large case, but cooling would suck if you put something modern in there. I have a couple of them.
    Indeed it is big, but not big in the way I need. I need something both long, wide and tall. I want to fit a few radiators, alot of hdds and PICMG cards are rather long. like longer then a AWE32 long.
    Now if I went ATX that case might work rather well.