Image Map Image Map

Thread: Using super glue to attach, solder, fine wire to surface mount.

Default Using super glue to attach, solder, fine wire to surface mount.

I've been playing around trying to fix fine broken circuit board traces on surface mounted chips.

These are fine leg chips for an old LCD screen. I got one done today using super glue. Took a fine piece of wire and flatten the edge with a hammer. Dipped the wire edge into super glue and attached it to the chip using pressure from the back side of a utility knife blade. It's seems well attached and is conducting voltage.

I am going to try and do 4 more traces tomorrow.

My question, has anyone else ever used super glue in this way?

2nd question will it last or am I wasting my time?

framer

It will likely be unreliable over time. Super glue it self shrinks over time. It is an insulator. It may pull it towards the board or away. The junction will not be good for any significant current either. Why not solder it?
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Maybe they are too fine to solder, or too fine for OP's soldering iron and skills capability. If the superglue method works acceptably and you get all traces working, then you could seal the fine wires with a coat or two of paint or lacquer. Obviously not one that contains strong solvents. This should help hold the glued wires mechanically, and reduce moisture ingress. Mind you this is only an idea, whether it works in practice is another thing. However if it all goes wrong then you ought to be able to scrape off the paint/lacquer/varnish and start again.

Blog Entries

You might want to try some conductive glue instead of the superglue.

I'm not good at following things without pictures. Maybe this will help, I know a guy who said he was doing surface mount work back in the 80s with a wire wrapped around the tip of a soldering iron. He'd run a (or several actually) loop around the tip and leave the end sticking out. The end of the wire became the tip he used to solder or desolder with. I haven't tried it but it sounds feasible.

I've used a piece of paper clip. I find the copper wire tends to fall off.
    Dwight

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

I have used glue to hold solder in place befor, but only when I needed both hands free to solder something really small. Tape can also works in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You might want to try some conductive glue instead of the superglue.
    I would also recommend this.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.