Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hello from Yorkshire

Default Hello from Yorkshire

Hello all,

Another new member from Yorkshire, from on the moors near Huddersfield.

My background is IT, starting as a Mainframe Operator, into Programming, Technical Support and finally sideways into the fledgling "it'll never last" PC team for many years. My focus was always software and overall systems management work, afraid hardware never really came under my remit. It was always an interest but I never understood it as well as I'd have liked.

I've got a chance to help change that, my father-in-law has started a clear out and has uncovered a lot of old PC software from the 80's/90's plus, in his own words, "some old IBM XT thing, an Olivetti M24 and a trolley full of printers and plotters". I'll get to see them in a few weeks to see what condition everything is in.

I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks now and learnt a lot already. Thought I'd better say "hello" as I may need some help or advice with what I find.

Regards,

Paul.

Welcome to the forum, Paul.
    I lived in Worcester in the early '80s, working for the Froude side of Heenan and Froude Engineers as a technical services engineer. One of my work colleagues was from Huddersfield.

Welcome Paul (and Paul...) - and I live in Worcester at the moment !

Pity it wasn't an Olivetti M20...

Dave

Yo. That thing has had a lot of discussion lately. Us Yanks call it the AT & T 6300, or much less seldomly the Xerox 6060. Anyway there's no doubt you'll enjoy yourself. And incidentally a moor is similar to a swamp, no?

OK I'm wrong. I could have sworn a moor was kind of a misty swampy area. My mistake.

You're not wrong! Most of our nearby moors are barren windswept places where only heather grows, but we've some nearby peat bogs. They're about as swampy as it gets over here. Thanks all for the welcome and the info - appreciated.

In winter during the rain - you're probably not far wrong !

Dave

Ok so do you have a term for swampy misty places? I assumed they were all over the place in England, Wales, and Scotland. Maybe I just read too much Marion Zimmer Bradley.

term for swampy misty places
    "England"

(I'll get my coat)
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Can't be the case. Not even the moors are swampy and misty.