Image Map Image Map

Thread: Atari 800xl New Power Supply?

Default Atari 800xl New Power Supply?

I just picked up an immaculate Atari 800xl but it unfortunately didn't come with the power supply. Is there any place that sells new power supplies? I could get an original but I imagine they're similar to the Commodore units that fail and fry the computer. I'd much prefer something modern.

Any "USB" 5V wall charger with at least 1.5 Amps will do. All you have to do is cut off the USB connector and solder the wires to a 7-pin DIN connector. Pinout can be found in the service manual ( http://classiccomputers.info/down/At...ice_Manual.pdf ).

Markus.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I just picked up an immaculate Atari 800xl but it unfortunately didn't come with the power supply. Is there any place that sells new power supplies? I could get an original but I imagine they're similar to the Commodore units that fail and fry the computer. I'd much prefer something modern.
    I make them from a 5V 2A DC wall wart. I have 3 and parts to build a couple more. If you are interested, PM me. My price is almost certainly lower than what you can buy an original for on eBay. The most common supply seems to be the "Ingot" and has issues similar to the Commodore supplies. Most of the other versions are OK. I test mine on my 800XL, so you can rest assured it will work. I am in Ohio, so shipping should be fast.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.