Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would anyone like for me to log my over the top sleeper build?

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    Did you say Xeon? Yes I want to know all the details of this build.
    Ok Looks like we have 3 here that want to know more. I log everything.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Got an update on the parts.

I bought 11 WD raptor drives. I will run 10 in ether raid 10 or 5. I got a Intel 24 port sas/sata raid card.
    I bought a 92mm radiator to mount in the front of the case, a 240mm radiator, a d5 pump, some tubing and fittings.

Right now I have a 5.25" bay reservoir with built in dual DC-LT pumps. The DC-LTs will be used to prime the system so I do not kill the D5 pump running it dry filling up the system. I also have a 980ti, a 14 slot PICMG back-plane. 256gb M2 drive, two 184mm (dual 92mm) radiators along with a box of fittings and CPU block and a few addin cards like a PCI sound card and USB card and lots a fans.

So all I need is the xeon CPU and SHB.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Sure. Its a supermicro P6DKF
    Attachment 49185

After getting the case I found that is have 10 hdd bays. and 9 5.25" bays. so I did what any crazy man would, I bought a lot of WD raptors drives. I have 11 and need a few more still. One big Raid 0 array will be fun to mess with. But I think I'll go for ether raid 5 or 10. I'm shooting for a 16 drive array.
    Damn, everything about that is a beast. I don't have room for anything like that here but I do love those old server cases. Big fan of the '90s lab gear look.

Not in the market for more hardware myself, but I hope the SuperMicro board finds a good home. Too cool to let it sit dormant.

What PICMG system board are you going for? I have a couple "retro" Advantech boards (P-MMX) including one I use in my main DOS everything-PC, but nothing modern in that form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    Damn, everything about that is a beast. I don't have room for anything like that here but I do love those old server cases. Big fan of the '90s lab gear look.

Not in the market for more hardware myself, but I hope the SuperMicro board finds a good home. Too cool to let it sit dormant.

What PICMG system board are you going for? I have a couple "retro" Advantech boards (P-MMX) including one I use in my main DOS everything-PC, but nothing modern in that form factor.
    I plan to use a PCE-7129
    But I now see that Advantech has 8th gens boards on there site. The PCE-7131 looks very tempting.

ohh! I was wrong, the HDD bays old 3 drives each and not 2 drives. I could fit 15 drives in this case.
    In raid 0 I bet 15 raptors drives would go neck and neck with some SSDs. But I think I'll stick to ether raid 10 or 5. I don't want one drive failing taking the whole system down.

I got the water cooling parts last night. I just need the CPU and PICMG host card.

I'm going to start the fab work tonight and make the mounts for the radiators and stuff.

Looking forward to more pics myself...