Image Map Image Map

Thread: Keyboard with F11 and F12 on left side?

Blog Entries

Default Keyboard with F11 and F12 on left side?

Staring at my various keyboards, I see them with F1-F10 in a double column on the left side of the keyboard. For a time, this was layout that was assumed by early programs, with the key functions paired, like the function keys.

And then there are the PS/2 style with F1-F12 across the top.

Does anyone know of a keyboard that was a hybrid that had F1-F12 in two columns on the left side of the keyboard? It would seem to be a natural step in the evolution, but I can't say that I've ever seen one.

Blog Entries

The Northgate Omni-Key had a couple of variations on the idea with 12 function keys on the side and some with both 12 function keys on the side and 12 more across the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northgate_Computers

Blog Entries

Not quite--I'd call the 2 keys part of the top row. No, I had in mind six even rows with two columns.

I have a Nan-Tan Corp keyboard with a similar layout to those Northgates. The F11 and 12 keys are seperate above the other function keys. Most of the AT compatible keyboards I recall seeing with the function keys at the left kept the f1-f10 keys grouped together in order to maintain physical compatiblity with existing keyboard overlays.