Image Map Image Map

Thread: DUBLDISK Software: Pulled off IBM 5161 Expansion Unit

Default DUBLDISK Software: Pulled off IBM 5161 Expansion Unit

Hi, I recently purchase an IBM 5161 Expansion Unit, XT Computer, and Cable. To my great surprise the system has booted with relative ease, except for a blown capacitor on the CGA card. I've booted the system with DOS 3.3 using a floppy. One of the hard drives on the Expansion Unit has a directory of software called "DUBLDISK". I was able to pull all the files, zip them up and put them on my website.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything more about this program, and possibly has a manual or other information? There is a READ.ME with some limited information. I would use some common sense caution with these files considering their provenance. Thanks. Michael

http://www.mtmscientific.com/DUBLDISK.zip

I have:

DoubleDisk (tm) Version 2.14b Release Notes

BTW, your ZIP has errors. Many of the files are corrupted.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

With 7-Zip, only the DUBLDISK.SYS file is corrupt. I hate that many of the Zip programs do new compression algorithms without including a header to determine the proper version.

The uploaded zip file is truncated and therefore partially corrupt.

Doubledisk is a realtime drive compressions software similar to Stacker, and was the basis for Microsoft's doublespace. This means all of the drive's data is compressed in to one big file and to access any of it, you must properly load the software first.

The uploaded version appears to be Doubledisk 2.6. Version 2.5, with a manual is available, on WinworldPC. However you should use the same version that was installed on the drive.

Thank you everyone for your help and comments. I did another FTP upload to fix the truncated file. The manual on WinworldPC looks like a winner for understanding how to pull the legacy data off this hard disk. Much appreciated. Michael