Image Map Image Map

Thread: Just got an IBM 5162 and 5163

Cool Just got an IBM 5162 and 5163

I just got an IBM 5162 with 5153 monitor.
    The motherboard had died, but it wasn't the original motherboard so I replaced it with a working 286 12Mhz board that I had lying around. The TURBO button can bring the CPU down to 6 Mhz, so in some way, I can have the "original" 5162 experience.
    It came with a white floppy drive and floppy drive bay, which didn't really fit the 5162 design, so I painted it black.

Before painting the floppy drive bay (bad quality, but it's the only picture I have from before painting it)
    original floppy bay.jpg

After painting the floppy drive bay. It's a close enough match to the black hard drive bay
    painted-floppy-bay.jpg

Playing some games (they play rather nice on the 12Mhz in CGA mode)
    Outrun.jpg
    GrandPrix.jpg

Painting the FD was a great call. Brilliant setup.

5163?!? Am I missed something?
    Aha, 5153...

Nice work anyway, how did you make that black plastic around the floppy drive?
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155:
    WANTED! : IBM 5161 Expansion unit, IBM 5175 monitor, IBM 5145 monitor, IBM EGA Graphics Memory Expansion Card, IBM PC screws,
    My IBM PC hardware collection

Quote Originally Posted by romanon View Post
    5163?!? Am I missed something?
    Aha, 5153...

Nice work anyway, how did you make that black plastic around the floppy drive?
    Oops a typo, well at least I got it right in the message body

that plastic around the floppy bay is just a 3.5 to 5.25 drive bay adapter + a piece of plastic that normally sits in an empty 5.25 drive bay.
    Those parts were already glued together when I bought the machine, but I took them apart and blued them back together as I wanted it to look a little nicer.
    Then I sanded the piece a little and spray painted it with a couple layers of matte black heat resistant paint. I don't know how well it will hold. I also took apart the floppy drive plastics to paint those as I don't have a black floppy drive lying around.