Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted: Compaq Portable video card or someone to repair mine

What I meant was, judging by how lightly the machine was used, I would assume the failure would most likely be something that goes bad because of age like the capacitors rather than one of the chips that might go bad because of heavy use

Use has very little to to with the overall failure rate. Where did you get that from? There are many contributors.

Some components have a higher failure rate if they're not used regularly. Did you know that?

Making unfounded electronic assumptions will not help in resolving problematic issues.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Either way, my first course of action is to replace capacitors. If that doesnt fix it I'll have to look deeper.

Can anyone tell me what capacitors I need based on the labels I posted? I figured out KIZ 473 mean 4700pF but that's about all I could really find.

Got a new video card! I found a guaranteed working one on ebay for a good price so I scooped it up.

Well, looks like the new video card came in today and didn't solve the problem. I now think that the issue lies in the board that controls the CRT. The CRT itself seems to be working in that the back end of it glows like it should but there is no picture on the screen. I think this one is going on the back burner until I can either find a replacament board or someone who can help troubleshoot and repair it.