Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Compaq Portable video card or someone to repair mine

Default Wanted: Compaq Portable video card or someone to repair mine

I recently got my Compaq Portable 1 going and it was perfect until an hour ago. Now no video. I checked the original video card on another monitor and no output. I got output to an external monitor with a cga card I swapped in so I know it's the card. Probably capacitors, but not sure. Looking for a new card or someone to repair my original one.

Video cards is not your problem. Finding an MGA or CGA card with pinouts to interface the internal CRT is your issue. As far as I know the compaq VDU is proprietary.

Yeah, I know. I think I need another original card if I can't get this one fixed

I would also be interested in a compatible card with the internal pins to use the original monitor. I understand that some version of the ATI EGA Wonder had these pins? I'm sure there were some other aftermarket cards with them too.

Well you know what, if anyone has a schematic of the compaq portable 1, we can build an adapter that would give the pins requiring power from the psu and make another 9 pin adapter to connect to the external monitor out port. Shouldnt be hard as long as we know what the pins are.

This way you can use any video card you wish. (MGA, CGA, and possibly Ega)

That's not a bad idea, just take the output from the card and loop it around back inside to the internal connector. Or even put an internal connector on the card from the solder points of the db9 connector. And I've got a vga/ega/cga card that would work nicely for that

Thats the idea, The card must support whatever sync signal the internal CRT is capable of. Someone must have a schematic, I know they are super scarce for the portable II but I remember people posting they had them for the model 1

I'm sure there's one out there. I wish I had the original service manual but all I have is the manual for DOS

Thanks Chuckster