Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threw in the towel.

Blog Entries

Default Threw in the towel.

My Video Toaster setup seems doomed to fail. I had nothing but grief getting it running the first time. Some time ago one of the hard drives in the RAID array failed. For whatever reason, I set it up as a RAID 0 instead of a RAID 5. I have no idea why. So I tried to fix the failed drive by swapping boards with another dead drive, one that won't spin up. It didn't work. Then I put the whole project off for another day. Another day arrived today. I powered up the system to see what the status was. All the hard drives in the RAID array were working, and I'm not sure why. But the RAID controller had every drive except one marked as DEAD. I manually re-marked them as ON or ACTIVE or whatever it is, and rebooted. The RAID array was valid, but the LUN showed to be unformatted on the Amiga. I threw in the towel. I re-configured the RAID array as RAID 5, and am 3 hours into initialisation of the array. It's been at least a decade, maybe two, since I had to initialise this array, and have no recollection of how long it takes. Maybe 6 hours, maybe a day, maybe two.

But I'm plagued with other problems. Once this is done, I have to figure out why my CD-ROM drive isn't working. It's a Philips CDD2600. I bought four of them when they were new, and I regretted it ever since. They are flaky by design. But I don't recall ever having one not report to the host controller as a CDD2600. Then I have to find a working CD, and hopefully it's the correct version so it won't fry my Video Flyer. I already have one fried one here somewhere. I have recently acquired another complete working Video Toaster/Flyer setup. I probably should have ditched this one and got that one set up. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Be polite and I may let you live.

I last time I reinstalled the Toaster 4.3 software on my Amiga 4000, I actually pulled the IDE drive (you can do this with SCSI too if you have a SCSI card in your PC) out of the machine and mounted it in WinUAE. It installs WAY faster that way. I don't have a Flyer card in my machine, but I am kinda curious how one could get fried by using the wrong software.

I sold Video Toaster and Flyer systems up until the end. I have never heard of using RAID of any kind either on the Amiga or the Video Toaster. What are you talking about?

Blog Entries

While I have a ton of old video capture and editing gear I never bothered to get a Video Toaster + Flyer because they are expensive and tempermental plus pretty old.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Perhaps the Toaster Flyer drive setup? I was under the impression that was a stripped array controlled by the Flyer card itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    I sold Video Toaster and Flyer systems up until the end. I have never heard of using RAID of any kind either on the Amiga or the Video Toaster. What are you talking about?
    From my understanding the Flyer had 3 SCSI buses where 2 were used for video and one for audio. Each bus could have 7 drives connected to it. I assume the 2 video buses were striped to get the 6MBs quoted for capture.

I always just sold them with 3 drives - 2 x video, and 1 x audio. The drives were incredibly expensive at the time (big Seagate 9GB drives for $4-5k each). They would only do ~5M/s, so you couldn't use the super-high-res mode unless it was at the beginning of the drive.

I admit I got out of it around 1996, so maybe it changed after that, but I figured Amiga Flyer was dead at that point. Newtek had moved on to the PC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    While I have a ton of old video capture and editing gear I never bothered to get a Video Toaster + Flyer because they are expensive and tempermental plus pretty old.
    Same. Even the initial cost of the Amiga itself in reliable working condition is cost prohibitive. The boards and cables needed to make it a Toaster Flyer can make it all exceed $1000.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

If only I had only spent $1000 on all this...

The RAID array has nothing to do with the Toaster/Flyer except that it's where the Toaster software resides, as well as most of the media files that aren't on the Flyer drives.

I acquired this array (50Gb) back when that was the only way to have such a large hard disk. It was the main drive on my main computer (A3000) for a long time. When the A3000 died (CSPPC solder joints), I repurposed the array for this A2000.

Sure, I could have thrown all this stuff in the trash and bought a Mac a long time ago. But that's not what I do. When I bought all this stuff, it wasn't old. Neither was I.

At some point, NewTek changed the audio hardware in the Flyer (due to available components). If you don't have the right software version for the right Flyer, the first time the software runs is the last time that Flyer will ever have audio output (in the form of a big POP). I found this out the hard way when I got my first Flyer. Unfortunately, by the time I found out why, I couldn't afford to send it to NewTek to get it fixed anymore. I'm not sure if they still do that. In the interim, I acquired a different Flyer.

Blog Entries

I had some big FH seagate 9GB drives ages ago when they were being dumped on ebay, noisy.

Amiga was known for NTSC overlaws (that's what the toaster was) and the start of Lightwave, the Flyer came late and nobody really used it, they all went to the Mac. Working Amiga desktops are getting pricey and probably are unreliable without some work.