Image Map Image Map

Thread: UNIVAC 422 Parts & Documents -we have some but looking to put together an emulator?

Default UNIVAC 422 Parts & Documents -we have some but looking to put together an emulator?

UNIVAC 422 Parts & Documents -we have some but looking to put together an emulator?.. this would be including The 422 and the prior UNIVAC DIGITAL TRAINER - (Is there a code compatibility?) There may be, with a little more data, all someone would need to write an emulator... and it would be fun to fire up some of the actual hardware too!

It would be nice to have group of users of this computer platform to collaborate ... that is if there are any out there? Perhaps I am the lone ranger with this stuff? - If so.... it can go back into the warehourse for another 30 years...

Please drop us a note off list

Thanks Ed

Blog Entries

Wasn't there a civilian version also? I think of the 422 mostly being used by the military as a trainer. Patty Duke being the exception.

Would this be the same Univac Digital Trainer that the Navy used in NTDS school? I went through DS "C" at Mare Island in the mid-60's and we spent a couple weeks on the UDT with a Flexowriter I/O console.

Default 422 mostly being used by the military as a trainer. but a prior one more Militar

Hi Chuck - Gotta love the Patty Duke Movie Segment! -
    OK
    There was something called a UNIVAC DIGITAL TRAINER which had 15 bit words 512 words of core but the boards were more primitive... front panel looked similar and it was in the center of the machine - I suspect it was just sold to the military only. the 422 was announced as something also for the civilian market and general schools.

The 422 may have found military use also to replace the UNIVAC DIGITAL TRAINER, but the 422 seems to crop up as a civilian ubnit.

One of the brochures at SMECC has the following on the 422-

"A COMPLETE INEXPENSIVE COMPUTER
    The UNIVAC 422 Computer is designed for use in basic or advanced data processing courses by colleges, universities, and technical institutions,and training departments of business firms, and governmental agencies. In addition, this versatile computer is also available to users of large-scale systems for running test problems. Its cost is surprisingly low."

Chuck - OK I saw somewhere were the price for this 422 was more than a first model pdp 8... trying to find the reference...

I hate to think of some of these UNIVAC 422 units may be sitting in a warehouse or someone's garage and they think the 422 portion is just an I/O controller for a larger computer for the typer unit with the punch and reader on it.

Ed#

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Wasn't there a civilian version also? I think of the 422 mostly being used by the military as a trainer. Patty Duke being the exception.

Blog Entries

Close, but not quite the same. Both 15-bit machines with Flexowriter, but the 422 was faster and had other small differences: See Ed Thielen's site

OK the boards are definitely different but I have the feeling they are code comparable? the 422 had a weird later flexowriter or?(whatever it may have been termed as... not same as any flexowriter I have encountered... ) with removable punch and reader. We do not have this later unit. would be nice to have one. (folks see the one in Patty Duke movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Close, but not quite the same. Both 15-bit machines with Flexowriter, but the 422 was faster and had other small differences: See Ed Thielen's site

I have earlier flexowriters but unsure as to what coding they have and ? Really would rather find the correct looking one too!

Default Doug YES YES YES! You used the UNIVAC DIGITAL TRAINER

Doug YES YES YES! You used the UNIVAC DIGITAL TRAINER.. if it had the front panel in the center of the whole table top unit...... if it had front panel to the one side it was a 422 - -by chance, do you have any photos, books, instructional material? Please write up any memories of unit... thanks Ed#

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    Would this be the same Univac Digital Trainer that the Navy used in NTDS school? I went through DS "C" at Mare Island in the mid-60's and we spent a couple weeks on the UDT with a Flexowriter I/O console.

We may not know the exact bits but the manual that was ocr's has quite a bit to work with. Were is that manual?
    Dwight

I assume you've already found this web page. https://www.smecc.org/univac_422.htm