Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Deleting long file names in DOS

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    For me, using LIST was easier -- even to this day, I use it more for navigating directories and managing files than for viewing text files. And even with the confirmation prompt, I'd never be comfortable issuing a DEL *.* command in the root directory. Just like UNIX, that puts you one wrong keystroke away from disaster.

In DOS you can also use ASCII 255 to put what looks like a space in file names.
    I'm in total agreement here. Whenever I drop to a Command Prompt the first thing I run is List.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Maybe it would. For me, using LIST was easier -- even to this day, I use it more for navigating directories and managing files than for viewing text files. And even with the confirmation prompt, I'd never be comfortable issuing a DEL *.* command in the root directory. Just like UNIX, that puts you one wrong keystroke away from disaster.

In DOS you can also use ASCII 255 to put what looks like a space in file names.
    So? The wildcard trick still works. You can put all sorts of characters into a filename under DOS. You can even start a filename with hex "E5" (DOS translates that to 05 in the directory).

I've got nothing against LIST--I'm a registered user, for whatever that's worth. On Linux/UNIX, I've aliased "rm" to a "mv" to a subdirectory called "deleted". That gives me a chance to claw back any stupid move--you know, a Windows "trash bin"

You could implement a DOS command that would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Have you tried enclosing your misspelled word in "quotes"?
    Of course; Google then 'helpfully' suggests "Did you mean ______" without giving an opt-out for my intentionally misspelled word. What I really would love is regular expression searching. Nothing like a finely-crafted regex!
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Quote Originally Posted by lowen View Post
    Of course; Google then 'helpfully' suggests "Did you mean ______" without giving an opt-out for my intentionally misspelled word. What I really would love is regular expression searching. Nothing like a finely-crafted regex!
    For a while a few years ago, eBay redirected any search for "Volkswagen" to "Volkswagon". When I pointed that out to Customer Support, they insisted that was the correct spelling.

I totes agree on that. While on the subject of removing LFN past the 8+3 character in DOS, type in the following to remove said file(s):

DEL FILENA~1.EXT or install the LFN software in MS-DOS to get the long file names to remove them. I believe you can remove the files longer than the specified characters in Windows 3.x, or I could be wrong. However, if you're system is hooked up to the network, you can share the directory and use another computer to remove those files off of there that's running Windows 95 or higher.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Blog Entries

For a while a few years ago, eBay redirected any search for "Volkswagen" to "Volkswagon". When I pointed that out to Customer Support, they insisted that was the correct spelling.
    That was eBay "Kustumer Suport".