Image Map Image Map

Thread: Performance of the original Argon/Pluto/Orion Slot A Athlons at faster speeds 750MHz+

Default Performance of the original Argon/Pluto/Orion Slot A Athlons at faster speeds 750MHz+

I've never used these, except for an 800MHz Slot based Thunderbird, which was a fantastic performer, even ran Windows Server 2003 great.

The Pre-Thunderbird Slot A Athlons had it like this as AMD brought out faster and faster clocked models: 500MHz to 700MHz have the L2 Cache at 50% speed. Athlons 750 to 850 were 40%, and the last models 900 to 1000 were only 33%.

How bad or good did these faster 750MHz to 1000MHz Classic Athlons perform? Were the 750's, 800's, and 850's still good performers and the slower L2 cache speeds was not a big deal? Should I avoid the fastest 900MHz to 1000MHz models? I want them to feel like relevant choices for a gaming PC, and not have it feel like i'm building a budget minded low FSB Celeron system.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

I played around with a slot A system in the past. The slot A CPUs are on par with the P3. Thunderbird's are like a Coppermine and the earlier ones on more like a Katmai.
    That is If I recall correctly.

Also keep in mind 33% of 1000 is 330mhz
    50% of 500 is 250mhz, 700 is 350mhz.
    40% of 750 is 300mhz and 850 is 340mhz.
    If L2 speed is a concerned Id go for the 850mhz CPU if what you say about cache dividers is true.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

I guess the best way is to test them out for myself one I get my hands on some of these faster models.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I guess the best way is to test them out for myself one I get my hands on some of these faster models.
    Try looking them up on HWBOT.org, their data base should have all sorts of slot A CPU benchmark results in it.

EDIT:
    Here you go.
    http://hwbot.org/hardware/processors#key=slot_a
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.