Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing old AT IDE Hard Drives on a Newer OS / USB to IDE Cable

They are not USB devices.

They plug directly into the computer's IDE ribbon cable. All they do is allow you to physically (and easily) replace IDE drives by sliding a tray in and out of its housing mounted inside the computer's drive bay(s) so there's no opening and going inside the computer. It's akin to changing a floppy disk except that you need to power down the computer to switch the hard drives. But you'd have to reboot the computer anyway when you switch the drives so you'd start the OS on the new drive. I might have read something about the later models that do allow hot swapping but if they do that would only work if you were replacing a drive with only data on it and not the OS. But it might not be an option since I don't see how the replaced drive could get initialized. Or this feature may be only for SATA drive racks.

I love it. My 233 tweener not only runs every version of DOS but also WIN95, WIN98, WINME and WINXP, just by replacing the HD and it only takes a few seconds.

And, of course, you can use the larger LBA drives too, just like you can in that same computer if you weren't using a mobile drive rack.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

I know what mobile racks are, used them since around 2000 and I even have some SCSI ones (50 pin/68 pin). My reply was to the original question about USB to IDE adapters.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I know what mobile racks are, used them since around 2000 and I even have some SCSI ones (50 pin/68 pin). My reply was to the original question about USB to IDE adapters.
    Gotcha...

My reply was to... These work with the older ATA Drives?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

There are differences in the mobile racks, the pre ATA66+ ones only had 40 wire internal cables not the 80 wire cables we are used to now.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems