Image Map Image Map

Thread: File corruption problem on fat32 formatted Windows XP installs

Default File corruption problem on fat32 formatted Windows XP installs

I've had this odd problem that has affected multiple installs of Windows xp on different hard drives of mine in the past. I remember seeing it only on new Windows XP installs I made with a fat32 partitioned hard drive. Sometimes when I clicked on a random file on my desktop, it would give a message saying it is corrupted. It even affected the recycle bin when I clicked on it. Not the files, but the recycle bin folder itself. I've also lost a single music file in the same way, I just clicked on it from the desktop. I have not seen this problem occur elsewhere.

Has this ever happened to you? My guess is that Winxp is not optimized for, or fully supports fat32 installs. They don't even let you format a fat32 partition larger than 32gb in the installer. I would have my XP formated as fat32 so I could let Windows 95 see my XP drive's files and vice versa.

I wonder if the older NT OS's like Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 have problems with fat32 installs for the OS? I don't know cause I don't think I've ever attempted it.
    Last edited by computerdude92; November 6th, 2018 at 01:15 AM.

Blog Entries

NT4 won't boot from a FAT32 disk; NT4 doesn't include any support for FAT32.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-win98/ should allow you to have a Win95 system peek into a NTFS formatted drive. I know it works from Win98. It is slow and read only.

Check for updates for XP. I remember a number of bugs with XP support for larger FAT32 drives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I've had this odd problem that has affected multiple installs of Windows xp on different hard drives of mine in the past. I remember seeing it only on new Windows XP installs I made with a fat32 partitioned hard drive. Sometimes when I clicked on a random file on my desktop, it would give a message saying it is corrupted. It even affected the recycle bin when I clicked on it. Not the files, but the recycle bin folder itself. I've also lost a single music file in the same way, I just clicked on it from the desktop. I have not seen this problem occur elsewhere.

Has this ever happened to you? My guess is that Winxp is not optimized for, or fully supports fat32 installs. They don't even let you format a fat32 partition larger than 32gb in the installer. I would have my XP formated as fat32 so I could let Windows 95 see my XP drive's files and vice versa.

I wonder if the older NT OS's like Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 have problems with fat32 installs for the OS? I don't know cause I don't think I've ever attempted it.
    I've installed XP in FAT32 partitions in the past and never experienced your particular problem. You said 'different hard drives' but are you using the same PC? If it is the same PC, you may want to do a little upkeep and maintenance and start with a mem check. FAT32 cuts out a good performance slice in when compared to NTFS. You would be better off just running WIN98SE. Personally, I don't see a situation where I would want to pull-up XP files from a DOS/WIN95/WIN98 dual or triple boot. Another thing to consider is the size of the file and the size of the partition. I'm thinking that may be where you're having some problems. There are a myriad of options for creating a FAT32 partition larger that 32 GB, and most of them involve 3rd party apps and procedures. Check this out:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/4...in-windows-xp/

Post up what your actual configuration looks like.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; November 6th, 2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    NT4 won't boot from a FAT32 disk; NT4 doesn't include any support for FAT32.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-win98/ should allow you to have a Win95 system peek into a NTFS formatted drive. I know it works from Win98. It is slow and read only.

Check for updates for XP. I remember a number of bugs with XP support for larger FAT32 drives.
    The last drive I installed with XP and fat32 was 20GB. So it seems there are problems with any sized drive and XP...

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I've installed XP in FAT32 partitions in the past and never experienced your particular problem. You said 'different hard drives' but are you using the same PC? If it is the same PC, you may want to do a little upkeep and maintenance and start with a mem check. FAT32 cuts out a good performance slice in when compared to NTFS. You would be better off just running WIN98SE. Personally, I don't see a situation where I would want to pull-up XP files from a DOS/WIN95/WIN98 dual or triple boot. Another thing to consider is the size of the file and the size of the partition. I'm thinking that may be where you're having some problems. There are a myriad of options for creating a FAT32 partition larger that 32 GB, and most of them involve 3rd party apps and procedures. Check this out:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/4...in-windows-xp/

Post up what your actual configuration looks like.
    I've used different PCs with different drives over the years with an XP dual boot. Faster systems like a PII or PIII. I used Win98 and Win95 with the dual boots, but I don't use 98 anymore. 95 is so much better in my experience. Just don't install IE4 and then you have a great system.