Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Battery Replacement - No Headers to plug in cable

Blog Entries

I don't see why they wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I don't see why they wouldn't.
    They work fine. Being bigger than a barrel battery they last longer. When using your PC only once a month that is certainly an advantage.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Blog Entries

So my first attempt apparently failed...

I installed a 4 Pin header into what I think is the external battery holes in the board. The 4 holes looked like the other external battery connectors I have seen / used on boards, but had no pins in them. I cleared out the solder that was in them and soldered in a 4 Pin Header. But after soldering a PC Speaker connector (4 Pin) to a Battery holder with 3 AAA batteries, I am still getting CMOS errors when I make any changes to BIOS, Save it and let the machine be powered off for a while and then power it back on. I have tried the Speaker connector both ways to see if one would work, but neither would....

If I try and go from the barrel battery connectors, what diode / resistor do I need or would I just take a cordless phone battery and solder the wires into the holes?
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Did you remove jumper J6 which is next to the external battery connector?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

If the cordless phone battery is a rechargeable one (NiMH or NiCd), you don't need anything in series with it, so long as the voltage matches that of the original (approximately). If you're going to put in a primary (e.g. alkaline or lithium) battery, then you need a blocking diode. Any low-current silicon rectifier (e.g. 1N4001) will work there, but drop the voltage by about 0.6-0.7 volts. If you use a Schottky rectifier (e.g. BAT41), the drop is more like 0.3V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Did you remove jumper J6 which is next to the external battery connector?
    Lol, no I did not.....and that took care of the issue....thanks again Stone!!
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."