Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which CP/M for a new port: 2.2 or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Software 2000 never published source, and the versions that are out there are generally keyed to certain hardware. Still, rehosting it on other hardware would make for an interesting project.
    I did a port to the TRS-80 Model 4. I didn't have a lot of documentation so it may not have been complete or optimized but it did boot and I could programs. I don't remember it being very difficult but that was 30+ years ago. I don't think I still have the source but I do have a bootable disk image somewhere.

I found a screenshot I took of the disk image booted in TRS32:

turbodos.jpg

ZSDOS looks very cool, but IIUIC, it's just a CP/M 2.2 BDOS replacement, right? Which means that it's agnostic to the BIOS. So I wouldn't be porting specifically for ZSDOS, but instead be doing a generic 2.2 BIOS and then it'd just work.

Having looked more at the 3 features, I do like them. I have to use 512 byte PC-compatible sectors anyway; the NC200 boot process reads a file off a distorted FAT filesystem. This means I need deblocking, and 3 does this in the BDOS for me, so I don't need to bodge it into the BIOS. My 128kB system looks like a perfect match for CP/M 3. But I'll admit that boot process doesn't make me happy, and the BIOS looks way more complex.

I think I'll target 2.2 at first, as it looks drastically easier, and then think about 3. Apart from anything else I'll need a decent monitor in the supervisor because I'm sure I'll need to debug this, and there's a respectable amount of work there. (The bitmapped screen with 6-pixel wide characters isn't helping.)

Next things I need: a decent Z80 macro assembler, and a CP/M vi...

A good companion BIOS for ZSDOS is B/P BIOS at http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchive...wer/index.html.

But, yes ZSDOS is a BDOS replacement.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Blog Entries

Not to be too trite, but once you've replaced CP/M BDOS, what's left? The user has to write the CBIOS anyway, which leaves a grab-bag of a few utilities, most of which have more-capable third-party versions.

6. Default

When I did the CP/M implementation for the PCW16, I started with CP/M 2 (or actually SUPRBDOS since I wanted to be clear of copyright funnies). Once I had that booting I went on to implement CP/M 3, using my CP/M 2 implementation as the bootloader rather than CPMLDR.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hjalfi View Post
    ...and a CP/M vi...
    Ah yes, the Holy Grail of CP/M users: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...I-key-bindings

It occurs to me that one thing which would be amazingly useful for porting CP/M, which happened a lot, and therefore such a thing might exist, is a test suite. That is, a standalone program which exercises the BIOS and tells me whether it looks sane. Something which used only the BIOS and didn't require a BDOS would be even more useful, as I could simply poke it into memory with my supervisor, run it, and look at the result.

I bet that it doesn't exist, though --- CP/M predates testing, right?

I'm porting CP/M 3 to three hardware platform right now. Yes, I can definitely use a CP/M test suite.

Blog Entries

I posted something on this but somehow it ended in a different thread. A CP/M 2.2 test suite could be implemented by using GETSYS/PUTSYS to test the BIOS disk functions and then creating another program that does echoed input to test the other BIOS IO functions. I have no idea how one would test the CP/M 3 BIOS memory functions.