Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC Jr. keyboard interface protocol

Hey guys -- thanks for the advice and input. I'll be making another video about this machine and will put this in the next one --- but a few days ago I made a keyboard cable. It's sketchy but it works -- used DuPont style single connectors into the keyboard port:

https://imgur.com/a/FIbQYn8

The keyboard works perfectly! Oh and yes, as someone else said, it squeaks too LOL. Perhaps it'll get a bit better once I dismantle it and clean it up.

I really like the TexElecs adapter -- but for now I'm not quite ready to spend more than half the price I paid for the complete computer on adapter like that. I'm going to keep fiddling around and clean this up and see what I can do next with it. PicoATX supply is on the way (one that simply takes 12v input) so once I have it cleaned up it will be fun to test out what a 128k PCjr can do exactly.

Trixter, a PCjr with IDE would be very odd.

OH, I took a look on the disk that was in the computer -- and the machine definitely had a bunch of mods at once point because the disk was copying stuff to the G: drive (perhaps a ram disk as it copied command.com and then ran it from G) but also some int19jr.com or something similar that was running as a batch file on boot. I'll need to take a closer look and I'll post here to see if you guys have insight into what it was trying to do.
    -- Adrian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misterblack View Post
    Oh and yes, as someone else said, it squeaks too LOL. Perhaps it'll get a bit better once I dismantle it and clean it up.
    It won't The squeak is plastic-on-plastic.

I really like the TexElecs adapter -- but for now I'm not quite ready to spend more than half the price I paid for the complete computer on adapter like that.
    You found a complete PCjr + keyboard + monitor for less than $50?

You misspelled "awesome". It's more than IDE: It provides IDE, a battery-backed clock, and upgrades the system to the maximum RAM (768KB, 640KB for DOS and 128KB for the video).

I have 8GB on one of my PCjrs using a jrIDE. It currently holds 95% of all of the software ever released that can run on a PCjr.

OH, I took a look on the disk that was in the computer -- and the machine definitely had a bunch of mods at once point because the disk was copying stuff to the G: drive (perhaps a ram disk as it copied command.com and then ran it from G) but also some int19jr.com or something similar that was running as a batch file on boot. I'll need to take a closer look and I'll post here to see if you guys have insight into what it was trying to do.
    For answers to those, you might want to try the PCjr-specialized forum: https://www.brutman.com/forums/
    I love the VCFED forum, but there's more PCjr-specific expertise over there.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The adapter I was referring to was the one that just converted the keyboard port to use a PS/2 keyboard. That is what I use on mine. I haven't tried the breakout boards. I did buy the one for the video and serial port for when I get around to working on my spare PCjrs, but I haven't tried it out yet. I have at least one keyboard with cord that came with my first machine. I have to agree that the jr-IDE is an awesome addition to the machine. I think Alan is working on a new batch of them. I had two, but sold one to someone who didn't want to wait for the next batch. I just have a 12 GB DOM on mine, but on a machine from the era when 10 to 20 MB drives were common, that is plenty.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misterblack View Post

I have on mine, makes the system so much better. I used a IDE to CF adapter and mounted that at the back of the shell so that the card is removable. I believe it's a 2Gb card. So much better than having to swap disks all the time.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10