Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: AT Case, Socket 3 Heatsink/fan

☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Plenty of listings on eBay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    That site does not exist, try clicking on anything for sale or contacts and you will see it is just an ancient page.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Yeah, I've been checking ebay but $200+ for a basic case seems pretty steep to me. The prices don't seem horrible but the shipping is way more than it should be

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Sure for $125+ when shipping is factored in, might as well just buy a complete 486 system.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Sure for $125+ when shipping is factored in, might as well just buy a complete 486 system.
    I'm honestly thinking about doing just that. My friend has a 386 I might trade for and just strip.

Cool

When you filter on US only and pricing < $100 and spend some time scrolling through the vintage computers a few days there are plenty of (midi / mini) tower and desktop cases (often with MOBOs, RAM, VGA, I/O and drives) pretty cheap.

I sold a generic Pentium desktop with AT CPU for $75 + FedEx on eBay this week. Not unique at all.

Blog Entries

That's what I would do, buy a complete AT system and gut then rebuild it.

For a while there you could find early ATX cases with the AT backplate and internal mounting (you had to snap it off to install an ATX backplate) then you still needed an AT power supply or ATX to AT conversion. Most people still want a vintage looking case.

Just wondering how all this affects barebone 286-486 motherboard sales.

No idea. From my perception (not empirically validated) supply and demand is very erratic this year with regards to supply and demand. From my eBay trawling OEMs especially are a really hard sell even at reasonable prices: many machines keep reappearing for many months. There is also a lot more OEM inventory being listed lately I notice. VCFED / AmiBay / DOSForum / CPU World traffic / posts appears to be down and Reddit and Facebook are not where I see high traffic you would expect to have migrated there. That may be indicative of a slowdown in the “fad” for many. Might be that the 1980s/1990s nostalgia crowd is over it’s peak.