Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PC XT (5160) Keyboard Connection

Blog Entries

Default IBM PC XT (5160) Keyboard Connection

Can you use a PS/2 Model M on a PC XT if you have a PS/2 to DIN5 Adapter or wont the XT recognize it?
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Blog Entries

Unless your adaptor does something extraordinary, no.

Blog Entries

Wasn't there some discussion that some Model M's could do XT protocol?

Yes, I have a Model M # 1390120, Date, 06 FEB 86 and it's XT/AT compatible.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Keyboard support for the IBM 5160 discussed at [here].

Most U.S.-made, IBM-branded Model M keyboards are XT/AT autoswitching. The later Lexmark, Maxi-Switch, IBM Greenock Scotland, and Unicomp Model Ms are probably all AT-only.

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Most U.S.-made, IBM-branded Model M keyboards are XT/AT autoswitching. The later Lexmark, Maxi-Switch, IBM Greenock Scotland, and Unicomp Model Ms are probably all AT-only.
    I have a 1987 UK-made Model M and it is AT only, no autoswitching. However, I have seen UK 5160s sold with model M keyboards so presumably some are compatible. Unless they held a small stock of US PCBs to sell as upgrades for XTs (and presumably 5150's too?) and did a main run of AT-only boards for 5170s and PS/2s.

I could've sworn I read somewhere that late-model XTs with the final BIOS revision did have hardware support for the AT protocol and could use any AT keyboard, but can't see that anywhere now. Perhaps I imagined it!

What is actually different about the PCB in the autoswitchers? Just a different IC with support for both protocols or an entirely different board?