Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16B Mega$ystem

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

$650 shipping?

Seems a little high but not by a lot. There are 3 CRTs and other bulky items in the batch. And the 16B is super heavy. It's one of the few machines of mine I truly don't like to lift.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

Heavier than the 16? I didn't find that too heavy.

It felt pretty heavy when I moved from Oregon to CA and back to Portland .

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Heavier than the 16? I didn't find that too heavy.
    With a 15MB internal HD? Yes. I'm just saying it would cost 200-250 to ship just that unit alone assuming it were packed properly. Personally there is no way I would trust that lot to any carrier from Arizona to the end of the originating drive way. Whoever buys it should pick it up in-person. The $1K is probably a tad high but not by much considering all you get.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

Yup, when I gave away my Model 16 a couple of years ago, I was aware that it would probably not survive shipping, so rather than try to flog it for money, I was happy to see it get a new home--intact. Case construction and component mounting in that thing left something to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by gepooljr View Post
    It felt pretty heavy when I moved from Oregon to CA and back to Portland .
    No one told you to walk it there and back
    Sheesh

I'll tell you what's heavy. An IBM System 23/Datamaster. I think 95 lbs. Had to carry it up a flight of stairs. I can't say I benefited from it.

Shipping all of that is a complete nightmare! If done right, $650 shipping is not outrageous for that package. But, for God’s sake, don’t ship it!

Those DT-100s are one of the rarest Tandy items, although they are not too pretty. You may not see another one come up for a year or more.

The HD doesn’t spin up because it’s a secondary unit and needs to be switched on by the controller via the data cable. If may be fine.