Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out, Paypal.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    1,939
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    P.S. I use PayPal mostly to buy stuff from E-Bay.
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway/Japan
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    So someone else log into PayPal and let me know please if they don't require you to give them at least your "social security" number. I go directly to PayPal from several devices on several networks and it always tells me that I have to give all my personal information by some date in January or my account will be closed.
    I logged in just now - Paypay asked med to confirm that my phone number ended in the last digits they displayed, and after that they sent me a code to the phone, which I entered. Then I was in. They do that occasionally. They have never asked for my (equivalent of) social security number. They have never asked for a bank account. But I added one some time ago anyway, although I'm not using it - turns out there's nothing to save (I got the impression I could save some currency exchange charges that way, but no). They have my credit card. They initially charged a small amount of money, and when I confirmed that, I was all set. That's all.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Porter County, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I don't like any form of transaction where the processor can reverse it and "force" a refund. Dealing in tech sales always leaves a situation where a buyer breaks it and wants to blame the seller for selling it broken. either that or you get an uninformed buyer who thinks one thing even though its actually another. then theres the fraudsters. thats why i prefer cash. you cannot reverse cash

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Inside an MRI
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    ... and it could be worse. Look what happened to my local football club manager when he drew a few pound, sorry a few thousand pounds from his local COOP bank...

    http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...jailed-4600668
    Yeah but, to be fair, he is a mackem...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    1,939
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I logged in just now - Paypay asked med to confirm that my phone number ended in the last digits they displayed, and after that they sent me a code to the phone, which I entered. Then I was in. They do that occasionally. They have never asked for my (equivalent of) social security number. They have never asked for a bank account. But I added one some time ago anyway, although I'm not using it - turns out there's nothing to save (I got the impression I could save some currency exchange charges that way, but no). They have my credit card. They initially charged a small amount of money, and when I confirmed that, I was all set. That's all.
    You will only be asked for that if you receive commercial payments, and even then, depending on your country that may not happen. In the US they need to report your income to the Tax authorities so will ask for Social Security number. In the UK they don't...
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    .....In the UK they don't...
    I thought they did, I remember reading about some UK "private" sellers complaining about being investigated by the tax man because of their ebay earnings, It was a long time ago but i think you were allowed so many sales per month or so much in earnings whichever came first before they get reported, I can't remember the exact details now.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway/Japan
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    You will only be asked for that if you receive commercial payments, and even then, depending on your country that may not happen. In the US they need to report your income to the Tax authorities so will ask for Social Security number. In the UK they don't...
    Ah, I see.. that shouldn't be much of a problem, should it? As soon as tax is involved there are legal reasons (and often requirements) for asking about the SSN.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    1,939
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I thought they did, I remember reading about some UK "private" sellers complaining about being investigated by the tax man because of their ebay earnings, It was a long time ago but i think you were allowed so many sales per month or so much in earnings whichever came first before they get reported, I can't remember the exact details now.
    I believe they were looking at E-Bay accounts not PayPal accounts. In the UK you don't need a National Insurance Number or Tax Number to open an account so they can't ask for that, but they will verify your address and that's what they pass to HMRC....

    .. in the US its different. You need a Social Security Number or Tax Number for a bank account. A PayPal account is in effect a bank account, so that's what they ask for...
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •