Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: What should I learn about first?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motorola 68k

0 0%
  • 8088 or 80286

1 14.29%
  • 386 or 486

1 14.29%
  • Build a vintage PC

4 57.14%
  • Other

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Hello! New to retro PCs.

Default Hello! New to retro PCs.

Hello, I know a bit about 8 bit machines and a small bit about computer architecture, but I am fascinated by vintage computers, especially odd architecture PCs and workstations, I figured if there was anyplace to learn about old computers, how they work, and maybe even find a few, a vintage computer forum would be a great place to learn about them and get some pointers on where to find old broken PCs.

How should I start learning about old PCs?

Since you've included M68K in your poll, I assume by "PC" you mean personal computers in general, and not specifically the family of computers that are compatible with the IBM Personal Computer (aka the 5150), PC XT (5160), PC AT (5170) etc.

That said, the IBM compatible family is probably your best bet simply because such systems (and parts for them) will be easiest to find.

There's also some significant differences between vintage DOS-type PCs and non-x86 machines, not only 68K things like Macs, Amigas and Atari STs, but also the Z80 and 6502-based earlier home computers like MSX, Sinclairs, Commodores, Atari, Apple II, etc. These simpler systems might even be better opportunities for study because they can be explored nearly completely.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

Let's go back to the original statement. What is your goal? "Learning about old PCs" to some people means where to plug the right stuff in and knowing how to start a game. To others, it means going through the design of both the software and hardware in detail, such that if one had to build ta PC from scratch (chips), one could--or at least have a pretty fair idea of what to do.

It's much harder to learn about non-IBM-PC gear if you're of the latter persuasion. I've never seen a complete schematic and ROM listing of a Mac Performa, for example.

kgober

Since you've included M68K in your poll, I assume by "PC" you mean personal computers in general, and not specifically the family of computers that are compatible with the IBM Personal Computer (aka the 5150), PC XT (5160), PC AT (5170) etc.

That said, the IBM compatible family is probably your best bet simply because such systems (and parts for them) will be easiest to find.
    Yes, I don't mean only the IBM PC, I mean personal computers and just computers in general.

ClassicHasClass

There's also some significant differences between vintage DOS-type PCs and non-x86 machines, not only 68K things like Macs, Amigas and Atari STs, but also the Z80 and 6502-based earlier home computers like MSX, Sinclairs, Commodores, Atari, Apple II, etc. These simpler systems might even be better opportunities for study because they can be explored nearly completely.
    I will definitely look for those too.

Chuck(G)

Let's go back to the original statement. What is your goal? "Learning about old PCs" to some people means where to plug the right stuff in and knowing how to start a game. To others, it means going through the design of both the software and hardware in detail, such that if one had to build ta PC from scratch (chips), one could--or at least have a pretty fair idea of what to do.

It's much harder to learn about non-IBM-PC gear if you're of the latter persuasion. I've never seen a complete schematic and ROM listing of a Mac Performa, for example.
    I would like to learn about the hardware and software design in some detail, building a PC from scratch would be something I'd be interested in.