Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: For you monochrome lovers out there, which phosper do you prefer?

1. Default

The first CRT terminal I used was my high school's ADM3 hooked to an Altair 8800a. It had a bluish white phosphor. My own first computer was an Atari 400 hooked to a B&W TV, so white is most nostalgic for me.

I love using the amber phosphor screen on my Olivetti M24. I have a green one as well which is great; but I always find myself using the amber one more often.... That being said I would also like to try a blue-white phosphor screen; they exist but I've never seen one for sale anywhere near me.

For me monochrome is more of a nostalgia thing. I remember playing with an M24 back in the day with monochrome; so I enjoy doing it now. All my other machines run CGA/EGA/VGA for the same reason; that's what I identify with as I used it 'back in the day'.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    In a monochrome CRT, the resolution is only limited by the size of the focused beam and the frequency response of the video amplifier & output stage driving the gun. The amber monitor in a 5155 has a very small spot size and the video output stage is good to over 8MHz bandwidth (monochrome TV video output stages are generally good to 4 to 5MHz). As a result the image on the amber CRT is as sharp as a tac and exceeds the resolution of a shadow mask limited color CRT. In fact because the response is so good, it is a disadvantage to feed the IBM5155's monitor (or any monochrome monitor) with a composite color signal. The color sub-carrier interferes with the resolution and produces a patterning that is better not there. This can be fixed by disconnecting the sub-carrier signal mixing resistor on the CGA card, or by not using the sub-carrier on a feature adapter when using an EGA card in the 5155
    That's interesting. Have you done this on a 5155? I think I'll try it with mine. I was never quite satisfied with the 5155 display.

Amber, with green a close second, for text only scenarios. To me it also depends on the machine, especially it's color. I appreciate the aesthetics of vintage computers, so the colors need to be complementary for me to properly enjoy using them.

If it's a machine that can render graphics, then I prefer white.