Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For you monochrome lovers out there, which phosper do you prefer?

Blog Entries

Um, don't monochrome monitors have pretty much infinite dot pitch (unlike shadow-mask CRTs)?

To that point, don't many of the CRT-to-35mm setups use a small CRT with color filters (no shadow mask)?

Indeed, they don't have a mask or anything. That's why they're so sharp, though unknown may have been looking at a color monitor that had green and amber settings.

The only non white Mac monitors to my knowledge were the original Hackintoshes in Computer Shopper. Or the outcome of "Build Your Own Mac and Save a Bundle" by Bob Brant. Even Radio Electronics had such a series. Not sure if they scarfed up paper white crts or not.

I love amber MDA/Herc for writing work. Green is a close second and good for evoking memories.

I have one decent white mono VGA but have had many others, MDA and VGA, whose combination of phosphors to make white (yellow/blue) were too obtrusive, especially during eye movements. It's hard to get good, stable, sharp mono displays. I've bought and resold several that weren't good enough, even after internal adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    I have one decent white mono VGA...
    Paper White VGAs are the best for document work, reading, etc.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

THe nicest is blue letters on black screen. Some Olivetti monitors do that.

Blog Entries

I remember in later years Phillips did a paper white monochrome display that was almost flat. I'd love one of those again.
    But by default I prefer a nice Amber.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Paper white is also nice, I have a few Olivetti MS-DOS based typewriters which have paper white CRT, the software can run it normal and inverse. And don't forget the famous ATARI SM 124 black/white monitor...

Blog Entries

My personal preference is amber first, then gray/paper/white slow phosphor second, then finally green.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Part of this relates to the early CRT's for both television and general electronic work. In the industrial setting green was common for monitors and scopes, typically a P1 or P31 phosphor. Many computer makers went straight for this option. P4 or white was associated with television, since before WW2 and it was a less popular choice for computer monitors. Amber (medium persistence) was rare prior to the home computer era. Most radar amber colored screens prior to this had a very long persistence phosphor.

In use I prefer amber as number 1 for a monochrome computer VDU, mostly because of the associations with green for test instrument applications, but green is good too. But in front of that a white (p4) phosphor screen is great for vintage computers and I think preferable to green for text on a dark background. As I recall the Apple IIc monitor came in green or white. I converted the one I had to white with a P4 suffix CRT.

In a monochrome CRT, the resolution is only limited by the size of the focused beam and the frequency response of the video amplifier & output stage driving the gun. The amber monitor in a 5155 has a very small spot size and the video output stage is good to over 8MHz bandwidth (monochrome TV video output stages are generally good to 4 to 5MHz). As a result the image on the amber CRT is as sharp as a tac and exceeds the resolution of a shadow mask limited color CRT. In fact because the response is so good, it is a disadvantage to feed the IBM5155's monitor (or any monochrome monitor) with a composite color signal. The color sub-carrier interferes with the resolution and produces a patterning that is better not there. This can be fixed by disconnecting the sub-carrier signal mixing resistor on the CGA card, or by not using the sub-carrier on a feature adapter when using an EGA card in the 5155