Image Map Image Map

Thread: At Last, I Have Them All

Blog Entries

Default At Last, I Have Them All

Today my Motorola 9" TV and SWTPC PR-40 printer arrived, completing my objective of having every piece displayed in a SWTPC brochure photo!

20181109_191202.jpg

Apologies for the wiring mess. My next intention is to attempt to stage them just as they appeared in the photo, or rather, as close as I can get. I plan to use my 'wedge shaped' TVT-II for that pic, rather than the bucket style one the TV is sitting on top of. I'm hoping to find a way to make a chassis for the GT-61 like SWTPC has in the photo. I'm afraid I have to work on my photo taking skills to and figure out lighting, and such. Never was good with that.

I'm not much of a TV afficinado, but I really dig this little Motorola. I don't know exactly when this little unit was manufactured, it looks to be early 70s, maybe up to 1975/76. I think it's one of Motorola's last TVs, before they exited the business. And man, is it little. That's the thing about only seeing things in pictures. You get no sense of scale. Looking in the SWTPC brochure photos they used this exact model in, you get the impression it's more of a typical sized TV, rather than the dimunitive little 9" portable it is. This one is in really nice shape, works, and even came with a Motorola anti-glare cover, which I left off for the pic. Next I have to figure out how to feed the TVT-II's composite-only signal to it. The regular TVT should be 'easy'.

The PR-40,... that thing looks like something out of a nightmare! And it is *way* bigger, and heavier, than the photos suggest. The print mechanism looks like some kind of evil alien weapon. I don't know where I'll get a ribbon for it, but I'm glad it came with the old one for reference. Now I just need an MP-L card to connect all this stuff!

Anyway, just sharing my excitement. I don't know of anyone else that has the complete set like this. I'm hoping someone will come out of the woodwork, an owner of a GT-61 at least who maybe has some experience using it. For now, I'm on my own little island.

20181109_192431.jpg 20181109_192450.jpg 20181109_192501.jpg 20181109_192510.jpg
    Last edited by falter; November 9th, 2018 at 07:29 PM.

Blog Entries

The pr-40 is very cool, always wanted one.
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Looks like it really puts the "impact" in impact printer!

Very nice! I’ve got a full SWTPC system I need to unbox and restore one day soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    Very nice! Iíve got a full SWTPC system I need to unbox and restore one day soon.
    Have you got the GT-61? I keep looking for people as I'd love to see one actually put to use. The best I've come up with is one guy commenting on a youtube video about having one and a PacMan game he wrote for it.

The ribbon is probably a standard typewriter or cash register ribbon. Always wanted one of the little PR-40 printers, but they always go for way more than I think they're worth. One went for over $1000 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Have you got the GT-61? I keep looking for people as I'd love to see one actually put to use. The best I've come up with is one guy commenting on a youtube video about having one and a PacMan game he wrote for it.
    I have the insides of one of the original SWTPC terminals, but I’m pretty sure I don’t have the GT-61. It has been two years since I purchased this system and I still haven’t fully unboxed it yet. So many projects, so little time!

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    The ribbon is probably a standard typewriter or cash register ribbon. Always wanted one of the little PR-40 printers, but they always go for way more than I think they're worth. One went for over $1000 tonight.
    Nope. It's about 1/3 to 1/2 the width of a standard calculator or typewriter ribbon. It's really quite narrow. Also interesting is all the pr40s I've seen have the same blue spool on one side and beige on the other. SWTPC apparently sold the ribbons themselves. I wonder if you had to wind them on.

And yeah I mentioned that printer in another post. I think it got a little more based on condition (looks like it was unused)... box, documentation etc. Made mine look cheap by comparison.

In Troy, we had a typewriter shop, I took my Teletype Model 33 ASR ribbons down there and the owner quickly identified them and got me some replacements. I don't know if you have anything similar near you, but that'd be the place to go on ribbons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    In Troy, we had a typewriter shop, I took my Teletype Model 33 ASR ribbons down there and the owner quickly identified them and got me some replacements. I don't know if you have anything similar near you, but that'd be the place to go on ribbons.
    Only thing we have is a print/business supply store and they told me they cannot get typewriter ribbons anymore at all.