Image Map Image Map

Thread: Rs-232

Default Rs-232

I was wondering if the RS-232 on a color computer can be connected directly to the serial port of a modern PC. Do they use the same ASCII? Is it possible to use my PC as virtual memory for a coco?
    I am the 8" floppy that goes bump in the night. I am the computer with illogical gates and WOM (write only memory). I am the EDTASM with a 1111 1111^1/2 SPASM. ˇMuahahahahaha for It is alive!
    www.knowledgeeaters.myfastfourm.org

Googled CoCo null modem cable:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/coco...wnloading.html

As far as I can remember, they do use the same ASCII, at least for the letters, numbers, and punctuation. I think you're limited to 9600 baud - but maybe you can go faster with the RS-232 pak?

Not sure about using the PC as "virtual memory" - do you mean downloading software from the PC or using it as bulk data storage? I believe that's doable, but I've not done it myself.

Go to either coco3.com or cloud9tech.com, both sell a cable to do this. Cloud9 also offers the DriveWire software/cable package that will do exactly what you are looking for. Your PC will be a server for the CoCo.

Default I have heard of cloud-9

... but I would rather make the cable my self. I just wanted to know if there are any format conversions needed. I know of course that an emulator is needed, I was just wondering if any extra hardware is necessary other than port connectors and Cu. I am not worried about the baud rate, but just as normally a hard drive works as virtual memory, can another computer act as virtual memory, especially since mine only has 1/2megs. Do you think that the cartrige side would be viable for connecting to the || port?
    I am the 8" floppy that goes bump in the night. I am the computer with illogical gates and WOM (write only memory). I am the EDTASM with a 1111 1111^1/2 SPASM. ˇMuahahahahaha for It is alive!

Go here for the pinout for thr bit-banger port...

http://pinouts.ru/SerialPorts/TandyC...r_pinout.shtml

As for your other questions, you might try posting them on coco3.com where there are more knowledgeable people than i am about how the coco works...

That is a sweet link. I do try google but most of the time I turn up nadda.