Image Map Image Map

Thread: Floppy drive belt for Compaq LTE 386s/20

Default Floppy drive belt for Compaq LTE 386s/20

So I've got a Compaq LTE 386s/20 with a floppy drive that doesn't work, it just makes a bunch of noise the whole time any disk is inserted. I found some articles talking about the drive's belt likely being the issue here so I've pulled apart the drive and removed the belt. It was still intact but might have stretched too much over time? My issue now is I can't seem to locate a suitable replacement. Someone elsewhere had mentioned pulling apart a VHS tape or something, but does anyone have an actual part I can just order online? Couldn't find any relevant results on ebay so far.

Is it a flat belt best?
    look here on ebay

before you look for new belt you should remove the drive and watch it while it is working and spinning, and notice the performance of the belt.

Blog Entries

Take it apart and look for the make and model of the drive (Citizen I think?).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Yeah flat type belt.

I had the thing open and put a disk in but all it did is make noise and the floppy didn't actually spin. I suspect the belt had just become too loose over time to have grip on the motor but I should actually check that the motor is in fact spinning...

Blog Entries

The belts actually turn to goo and you need to clean them up before replacing the belt.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The belts actually turn to goo and you need to clean them up before replacing the belt.
    This one was fully intact and the inside of the drive was pretty clean. I expected to replace the belt anyway.

Not joking around here, use belt dressing like you would on a car. I had both an old turn table and an older VCR that had issues with the rubber components like belts and rollers, belt dressing fixed them.

If you can fix the belt definitely try that. Do check the motor and sector zero sensor.

I have many laptops with Newtronics drives from about 1990 that the belt literally turned to paste so there was no sort of saving them. This site had what I needed: https://www.turntableneedles.com/Fin...by_Description
    I don't know what your belt is like, but mine was tiny and I had to slice the belt in half with an x-acto knife. Not terribly easy but if it's possible and it works, then it's done I used a phone book as a cutting surface.