Mike-

I also have an emotional attachment to my Compaq 386/20e - it was the first machine that I felt could compete with a workstation when equipped with a 387. I used it for my ray tracing experiments when I was working at Compaq as an engineer fresh out of college. Although we were given basic 386/16 machines (sans 387) for our development tasks (don't want to give the high-profit margin new machines to the engineers), I lobbied hard for the newer 386/20e because I thought it had a great design aesthetic and much better performance than the clunky 386/16.

Anyway, I picked one up a few years ago and went through the process of maxing it out. Getting it to 16 MB took some time and I had to use whatever memory modules I could find online (all ePay in the end). I have the Compaq 4 MB module on the motherboard and this Kingston frankenmodule:
IMG_0695.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg

It all seems to work fine and gives 16 MB for Win95, Win NT, and Linux. I upgraded the CPU to a Cx486DRx2 and a FastMath 387 which definitely makes it more palatable for those demanding environments - but sill requires a little patience for big tasks. I put an SVGA, Sound Blaster, Networking, SCSI (for cdrom and zip), and 38GB IDE hard drive and now have that workstation to make everyone envious in 1989:
IMG_0700.jpg

I hope this helps you to get your 386/25e going.

Dave...