Image Map Image Map

Thread: Fairchild Compset 2300

Default Fairchild Compset 2300

Anyone know anything about the Fairchild Compset 2300? Is it a commercial copy of the TRW-130/AN/UYK-1? Both are fifteen bit systems built around all discreet components.
    I may have an option of getting the Fairchild but itís speculated that it may be a fixed function system that was only useable in typesetting applications.
    If itís the same as the AN/UYK-1 I will go after it being that way perhaps I can obtain things like opp codes and maybe be able to do something with in machine language but a big requirement for me is I would want it to work and in order to do that would have to have some opportunity of being able to program it, no matter if itís something as simple as little loops or whatever but got to be able to work.

A picture of the beast. I think this is the same as the TRW-130/AN/UYK-1 Data Processing System from the early sixties. Although not the same as the TRW-130 looking at the control panels there are all the same controls on both including the same names and number of registers, L,E,M,T,A and P with the local Switch input being pushed to E register. Somewhat week evidence but it the best I can come up with right now for them being the same systems. Other than that can find no information on Fairchild systems online and if it’s not the same structure it would be imposable to do anything with it.

fairchild-compset-2300-inside.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Qbus View Post
    perhaps I can obtain things like opp codes and maybe be able to do something with in machine language
    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/trw/trw-130

There is still the question, is the Fairchild 2300 the same programing wise as the TRW-130? I tend to think so and more and more am inclined to get involved with this computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Qbus View Post
    There is still the question, is the Fairchild 2300 the same programing wise as the TRW-130? I tend to think so and more and more am inclined to get involved with this computer.
    If you end up not getting it, it really should go SOMEWHERE and not get scrapped.
    There are very few surviving early 60's computers.

The card cage layout looks SO similar to the TRW that it makes me wonder if they OEMed the guts and built their own rack around it.

See the next post..
    Last edited by Al Kossow; November 16th, 2018 at 10:24 AM.

I just turned this up in the jun 1965 issue of Computers and Automation

br230.jpg

br230_1.jpg

I would think that if it were a AN/UYK-1, it would be a AN/UYK-1 computer, regardless of the manufacture.
    Al's pointer to the Figure 45 clearly calls it a TRW-Fairchild. At least the front panel matches.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Hmmm, I used to own a bunch of Bunker-Ramo stock back in the day when they had a big presence on NASDAQ trading hardware. (BR eventually was subsumed by Allied Chemical, so I suppose I still own those shares.)