Image Map Image Map

Thread: Is my DOS lacking a setver?

Default Is my DOS lacking a setver?

Hi
    I've recently acuired a retro PC running DOS 5 or 6 (not sure, most likely 6) with norton commander installed. When I try using setver.exe nothing happens (I'll post more details shortly). Whats more, I couldn't find any file called "setver" on my disc. Is it possible that it's missing and is there a way to fix it?
    Mike

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Doesn't it have to be loaded into the config.sys?

EDIT: oh you missing the EXE. I'm sure you could find in online somewhere and add it.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

previous owners probably deleted it. you can buy DOS off ebay and reinstall it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike__ View Post
    Hi
    I've recently acuired a retro PC running DOS 5 or 6 (not sure, most likely 6) with norton commander installed.
    Type "ver" at the command line and it'll tell you what version you are running. From there, you need to locate the missing file. Though if setver is missing, you might also be missing other things, so getting a full copy of DOS and installing it maybe the best way to go.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Since not all DOS versions have a SETVER I use one that is not DOS dependant. KISS

You can put it in a BAT file to run a specific DOS program that requires a different DOS version than the one you are running and then unload it after the program has been run.

It's called DOSVER and it runs from the command line.

http://ansis.lv/dosver/index.en.php
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen