Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macintosh 128K downgrade

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DFinnigan View Post
    I didn't think to check for that until now that you mentioned it. This photo shows that it is a Sony 800K drive.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's looking more and more like you just bought a Mac 512Ke in an original 128K case (with accessories).
    How can you tell from that photo that it's an 800k?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    How can you tell from that photo that it's an 800k?
    You can tell by looking it in the mouth. The mouth of the 400K drive is different from the 800K. I've been meaning to write an article on this subject for the Mac 512K Blog.

Look at this photo of my Mac 512Ke with 800K drive. Now compare with this photo of my Mac 512K with 400K drive.

Blog Entries

You can tell by looking it in the mouth. The mouth of the 400K drive is different from the 800K. I've been meaning to write an article on this subject for the Mac 512K Blog.

Look at this photo of my Mac 512Ke with 800K drive. Now compare with this photo of my Mac 512K with 400K drive.
    Yeah I caught onto that after I wrote... someone in another forum made a similar comment and explained.

Well, there are 400k drives out there, and 128k motherboards, so it's all fixable where need be. Hopefully all I need to do is replace the drive.

looks like it probably has something like dove macsnap type of thing installed. the battery cover has been replaced with what looks like a SCSI interface. my guess is that it also has 128k ROM installed.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Well, there are 400k drives out there, and 128k motherboards, so it's all fixable where need be. Hopefully all I need to do is replace the drive.
    You'll need the 400K disk drive mounting bracket too, as the 800K drive uses a different one. What you say is true, but assuming there was a board swap for the 128K->512K upgrade, and that the machine is now a 512Ke, you'll need the following:

• Logic board with 128K of RAM
    • The original 64K ROMs
    • Sony 400K drive
    • ...and its mounting bracket
    • Battery cover (if appearance matters to you)

Not impossible, but it's an awful lot of parts, and you might consider fixing up this machine, flipping it, and keeping your eye open for a better Mac.

Blog Entries

You'll need the 400K disk drive mounting bracket too, as the 800K drive uses a different one. What you say is true, but assuming there was a board swap for the 128K->512K upgrade, and that the machine is now a 512Ke, you'll need the following:

(big list snipped)

Not impossible, but it's an awful lot of parts, and you might consider fixing up this machine, flipping it, and keeping your eye open for a better Mac.
    Agreed. My own Mac 512K has been equipped with a GCC HyperDrive, and I'm okay with it being like that. Besides, there are still Mac 128Ks out there which have somehow avoided being upgraded. I've managed to acquire two of them, albeit one of which has hardware issues. I say just leave this Mac in its current configuration as an example of the sorts of efforts used to make these early Macs more usable, and continue your search for an unmodified example.
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Agreed. My own Mac 512K has been equipped with a GCC HyperDrive, and I'm okay with it being like that.
    HyperDrives are awesome. How did I miss that thread? Very nice. I have one or two that work myself and another one needs work. They are pretty cool upgrades. I haven't met a Hyperdrive yet that had an intact shock sensor. I think those just go with time.