Image Map Image Map

Thread: C2-4p

Blog Entries

Default C2-4p

I got this tonight:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ohi...72.m2749.l2648

It's not in the best condition apparently, but looks complete. Not sure why there's a hole in the front there where the badge would be.

Two questions:

1) Anyone have a guess as to what that label that says 'Dumbo' is referring to?

2) The bus used in the C2 and up is the same as was used for the original Superkits, etc, right? Would I be able to test my 500 board in this machine without hurting anything (assuming PSU, etc check out)?

Blog Entries

The modifications to the case make me wonder if a C2-4P is really inside the box.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The modifications to the case make me wonder if a C2-4P is really inside the box.
    Could well be. It looks like it has been heavily modified. The cut in front is what really got me wondering.. that hole isn't there in my Challenger 1P case so it's got me really curious. I'm not sure if those AC sockets on the back are supposed to be there either... I don't think my 1P has that.

I almost bought a C4 case with PSU and such (but got distracted by the Intecolor terminal). I'd really like to see if this 500 board works. I do have the board, a 440 graphics card and an original backplane.. I'm just a bit intimidated by the power supply situation. Would be great to be able to just plug the boards into a working backplane and see what happens.

Nice find. Great price.

The hole was there in my C2-4P as well. I'm not sure why it was there--it probably cost extra to make the cut. I'm guessing they originally had a different sort of badge planned.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing any real case mods. It was much more common for OSI owners to drill holes and add switches than other computers of the day, to move reset from the BREAK hey, switch baud rate or CPU speed, inverse video, etc. In fact, I drilled a hole in my badge, because it was easier to drill due through the thinner material and because of the rectangular cutout. Mind you, I was 11 at the time and didn't have a great selection of tools.

The view through the cutout sure looks like OSI to me. The keyboard is an OSI keyboard for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dfnr2 View Post
    Nice find. Great price.

The hole was there in my C2-4P as well. I'm not sure why it was there--it probably cost extra to make the cut. I'm guessing they originally had a different sort of badge planned.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing any real case mods. It was much more common for OSI owners to drill holes and add switches than other computers of the day, to move reset from the BREAK hey, switch baud rate or CPU speed, inverse video, etc. In fact, I drilled a hole in my badge, because it was easier to drill due through the thinner material and because of the rectangular cutout. Mind you, I was 11 at the time and didn't have a great selection of tools.

The view through the cutout sure looks like OSI to me. The keyboard is an OSI keyboard for sure.
    Thanks!! I'm pretty confident that's OSI hardware in there also. In my dreams there would be a 540B video board in there -- always wanted to see an OSI with color - but I doubt it. Maybe there's another interesting board in there.

This is the second OSI system I've bought (not including the 'system' I've been putting together with my Rev A 500 and 440 boards) that didn't have a badge... wish it did, but oh well.

Only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the AC receptacle at the back. I don't know why but those always make me nervous with computers that have metal cases. I always imagine someone not providing proper clearance with the hot wire leaving a nice electrocution device.

The C2-4P had the older B&W 540A board, and the original 542 keyboard. Those are a lot harder to come by, so be glad.

I've scanned a 540B board, and now you can get a new reproduction 540B bare board from Glitch at a very reasonable price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reproductio...rk:42:razz:f:0

Or from the Gerbers:

https://github.com/osiweb/Hardware/t...repro/OSI_540B

I have one of Glitch's boards and except for the tiny OSI Reproduction Project note, it's an excellent ringer for the original.

You can also now get a reproduction 542C keyboard that takes cherry keys, from Klyball:

http://osiweb.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=423
    http://osiweb.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=433

Cheers,

Dave

Blog Entries

Yeah OSI stuff seems to be maddeningly rare. I first got interested in them when a C2-8P came up (went for $200ish) on ebay. I've been trying to find an 8P (something about the big case and separate keyboard that appeals to me) since but only once has one come up. I guess what I have in parts is sort of close - Original 500 board, 580 backplane, 440 video card and 542B keyboard.

Did the C2/500-based systems have those special graphics characters like the C1/600 machines did?

Here is a video of a Challenger 3b https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTyPG3ZXS0

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Yeah OSI stuff seems to be maddeningly rare. I first got interested in them when a C2-8P came up (went for $200ish) on ebay. I've been trying to find an 8P (something about the big case and separate keyboard that appeals to me) since but only once has one come up. I guess what I have in parts is sort of close - Original 500 board, 580 backplane, 440 video card and 542B keyboard.
    The 400 card could only use an ASCII keyboard, not the later polled keyboards. The 542B was available much later, when the 540B cards with color came out.

Did the C2/500-based systems have those special graphics characters like the C1/600 machines did?
    All C2-4P and C2-8P systems had 32x64 displays with the graphics characters. They used the 540(aka, 540A) video boards, which were B&W only. They were shipped with the polled keyboard (542) but could also interface to an ASCII keyboard.

The early C2-4P versions came with the 500 board. Most came with the 502 board or 505 board, depending on whether they were factory configured as cassette or floppy systems.