Image Map Image Map

Thread: Battery-eaten conductive pad keyboard repair, possible?

Default Battery-eaten conductive pad keyboard repair, possible?

Hi folks,

Initial excitement at getting my rare-as-hen's-teeth Tandata PA running the other day was tempered slightly by dismantling the keyboard only to find that during its leaky years the 4.8V battery pack has eaten away some of the traces and copper pads. See pic.

I guess I'm lucky in that it's only eaten the keyboard and not the mainboard or the 'Minerva Emulator' IO board, the latter of which is necessary to boot the machine into its 'rewritten Unix V7' kernel.

Question is, is repairing these copper pads possible? I can probably use conductive silver paint on the traces but the actual pads themselves I think I might struggle with.

Anyone?

tandataPAKeyboardMatrix.jpg
    www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - UK home computer history
    Where RIFA capacitors come to die
    facebook.com/binarydinosaurs

Blog Entries

There is adhesive-backed copper foil; I don't know if it would work in your situation, however.

Blog Entries

You don't have much to lose trying.

I didn't try zooming the photo but I take it all the gold plated 'finger pads' which the conductive bobbles press onto are OK, it's just a few interconnecting tracks which are rotted away in places?

I repair damage like this all the time on door entry system panels as they are prone to getting water seeping into them.

Basically you scrape off the etch-resist for some way (1 cm or so) on either side of the break to reveal pink copper, then tin the exposed copper with a nice thin layer of solder. Then take some fairly thin multi strand insulated wire, strip 2-3 inches of insulation off it and separate out just one of the strands, cut it off and use some of that ultra thin wire to lay a bridge across the break. The main thing is to keep it as '2D' as possible so it does not hold the button sheets off the PCB to any appreciable extent.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusHardware
    I didn't try zooming the photo but I take it all the gold plated 'finger pads' which the conductive bobbles press onto are OK, it's just a few interconnecting tracks which are rotted away in places?

Unfortunately some of the pads have gone so that's my bigger problem. I can possibly use conductive paint on the 4 or 5 damaged traces though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G)
    There is adhesive-backed copper foil; I don't know if it would work in your situation, however.

I did wonder if such a thing existed so I'll have a look later, cheers.
    www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - UK home computer history
    Where RIFA capacitors come to die
    facebook.com/binarydinosaurs