Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Game Engine for MS DOS.

Default Little Game Engine for MS DOS.

Hi.

Despite a lot of bugs, and things poorly implemented, this is working better than I expected. An 8086 - 8 MHz should run it OK.

I captured this video using DosBox Daum at 600 cycles (more or less an 8086-8 ).

You need a GUS card to play the MOD files.

I tried not to be a mess with the source. But I ended up making a lot of specific functions just to make the samples work.

I could not make it work on 320x200 with borders, so it works in 304x176, and some monitors won't work.

This is a github link in case anyone wants to test it:

https://github.com/mills32/Little-Ga...ster/README.MD

This is really impressive, given the system requirements. I like!

Quote Originally Posted by Thallanor View Post
    This is really impressive, given the system requirements. I like!
    Thanks.

On a real 8086/8088, the sprites will probably look a lot more glitchy. And depending on the VGA card, the game could run faster or slower, but it should work.

Lookin really good, ill have to try it out. The art looks really nice too, did you make that too?
    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030

Hmm super nes emulator for 80286

Quite impressive

Cool stuff

Are you going to make a game with it?

Quote Originally Posted by PgrAm View Post
    Lookin really good, ill have to try it out. The art looks really nice too, did you make that too?

I found the moon and the asteroid in a web with sample images, and the top down map was a sample map for "tiled" software, then I added the water and the houses. I made the rest (the platformer and the puzzle games) using gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
    Hmm super nes emulator for 80286

Quite impressive
    Thanks.

Well, the engine can only scroll one plane, and I think it could handle 8 sprites (16x16) without a lot of flickering on a 286.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Cool stuff

Are you going to make a game with it?
    Thanks a lot.

I don't know, maybe a simple platformer, or the bouncing ball one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mills32 View Post
    I captured this video using DosBox Daum at 600 cycles (more or less an 8086-8 ).
    Keep in mind that DOSBox emulates an impossibly-fast video card. Your actual hardware requirements are likely a 286-10 (especially given the GUS usage).

Very impressive project! I didn't think the video manipulation would work, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe someday I can convince you to support mode-x proper

Looks like I have a lot of reading tonight.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Keep in mind that DOSBox emulates an impossibly-fast video card. Your actual hardware requirements are likely a 286-10 (especially given the GUS usage).
    That's true. But I also tested on PCem which emulates several vga cards, and it also emulates a more acurate 8088 8086 or 286 (DosBox emulates a 386).

On PCem using the slowest vga card, produced some jerky scrolling on the 8088, for example the mario level is working a bit jerky on 8088, so you are right, but the 8086 + slow VGA runs the game just as fast as in dosbox.

I did not record the game on PCem because that emulator has some issues when wrapping the VRAM in mode 13 (mode X works OK).

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Very impressive project! I didn't think the video manipulation would work, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe someday I can convince you to support mode-x proper
    I wanted to make it work on mode x, but this is why I did not use it:

-Every time I have to draw something, I have to introduce a for, (to draw the four planes), so that will slow the engine.
    -To speed up the drawing, I have to store the tiles and the sprites in VRAM, so that I can move just one byte, and it will move the four planes at a time. That's cool, a lot faster!. But there is a problem, you have to limit scroll, so that you don't overwrite the tiles and sprites stored in VRAM. That's exactly what a game called doofus does, (I think).
    -And the last reason... To avoid all of this, you have to draw everything to a VRAM page, and use double buffering etc... That will kill the 8088 and 8086 .

We shoud compare this with a real computer .

This is an emulated 8086 - 8MHz, and the slowest VGA on PCem:

Screenshot from 2018-11-24 12-16-16.jpg