Image Map Image Map

Thread: Dell Precision 220

Default Dell Precision 220

This is a old twin Pentium 3 desktop that Ive had for years then last year the PSU went and I wasnt at the time, able to track down the fault. Well i saw one come up on Ebay cheap si snapped it up. After fitting it I tried to power it up but it only turned on briefly 1-2 secs then turned off. I tried removing all drives cards etc buts still does it. I was wondering if the caps on this old thing are maybe causing this.
    Everything looks good, no bulging etc and it all looks perfect. See these pictures.
    Anyone know what it might be causing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    After fitting it I tried to power it up but it only turned on briefly 1-2 secs then turned off. I tried removing all drives cards etc buts still does it. I was wondering if the caps on this old thing are maybe causing this.
    Just from viewing your pics, I'm assuming you've not installed any RAM. RAM and video (yours may be on-board) are two things that a machine has to have to power-on.

These are just general photos showing the motherboard. When ive tried it I had everything Processors & Ram installed but no hard drives, floppies and just one graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    This is a old twin Pentium 3 desktop that Ive had for years then last year the PSU went and I wasnt at the time, able to track down the fault.
    Have you tested this PSU outside of the DELL? If not, there might be a short in the Dell (other than its PSU) that's causing the problem.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Have you tested this PSU outside of the DELL? If not, there might be a short in the Dell (other than its PSU) that's causing the problem.
    I did try this PSU by plugging into into my tester. Touble is it my tester has a 20 pin connector but doen't have this extra 6 pin connector (see photo) and the psu wont work without this one connected to something as well. Is there a way round this so i test this psu external to the computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plug a hard drive or two into the molex connector(s). If you have a full height MFM or RLL drive, use that.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Roadie:

Be very careful when changing the PS unit on any Dell PC manufactured during or after September, 1998. That's when Dell decided it would be a good thing to rewire and go it alone on the standard ATX molar plug and set it to their own specs. Your mobo could potentially go up in a colorful flash if you don't have the correct PS, depending on date of manufacture.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Roadie:

Be very careful when changing the PS unit on any Dell PC manufactured during or after September, 1998. That's when Dell decided it would be a good thing to rewire and go it alone on the standard ATX molar plug and set it to their own specs. Your mobo could potentially go up in a colorful flash if you don't have the correct PS, depending on date of manufacture.
    I have replaced the power supply with another Dell item of the same model number so its 100% compatable

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 SFF that had a similar problem with shutting itself off moments after I powered it on. I was often able to get it started again by unplugging the power supply (both from wall power and from the system board), waiting a while, then plugging everything back in. Eventually I got a new power supply for it and that appears to have solved the problem permanently.

Hope its not this power supply as I just bought it off Ebay as a tested working unit. I wish I could test it out of the coimputer but haven't worked out how it is done yet