Image Map Image Map

Thread: Color Classic vs. Monkey Island

Blog Entries

Default Color Classic vs. Monkey Island

I've broken out my Color Classic, hoping to do some light gaming with it. I was really hoping to fire up Monkey Island on it, but for some reason it only gets as far as the LUCASFILM intro screen and then completely locks up. It doesn't do this on my LC II, III or 475. I'm looking at specs but not really seeing what the difference is. Seems like they use same screen res, colors, etc?

If your Color Classic is unmodified, it's actually smaller resolution than your LCs and I've heard this does cause problems for some games. Even a basic LC probably does 640x480 but the CC can't without modification.

Many programs and games won't run on the Color Classic because the resolution is too small. There are relatively easy modifications you can make to increase the resolution if you're determined.

Blog Entries

I was looking online and saw the mods involved to get to 640x480. I'd go for it but it involves messing around with the CRT.. which I'm not really keen on... given my track record.. heh

I may have no choice though.. I really need to get the degausser working again... I've got this ugly greenish splotch mid-screen.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I may have no choice though.. I really need to get the degausser working again... I've got this ugly greenish splotch mid-screen.
    Do you have a horseshoe magnet? You may be able to tease it out with a horseshoe magnet. I've done it before.

There are three different ways to get the 640x480. The easiest one involves cutting a trace and running a jumper wire. The "correct" way requires changing out a couple caps and replacing a bunch of resistors with different values. The important distinction being that the caps + resistors method doesn't physically damage anything, and is reversible to stock configuration (should that matter to you.)