Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: C64 Breadbin blackscreen need help

I think very soon I will need to pursue such options.

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    The 8701 is by far the easiest chip to substitute with modern solutions. It's just the CBM way to substitute the original PLL solution to obtain the two cloks needed for the VIC-II chip. Since the two frequencies are on a N/M ratio, the 8701 is emulating a PLL with just digital divider and delays.
    Unless one wants absolutely original chips (that I can understamd sometimes, like on a 1977's PET or Apple II maybe) or in case of very hard to reproduce parts like the SID and the VIC-II, then there're several modern options to replace an 8701, including mine that even uses the original C64 crystal:
    True, I knew there were options but I kinda feel like they're a bit pricey at around $20 which is around the same price as replacement SID or PLA. At the moment, it's cheaper to get an 8701 vs the 8701 alternatives whereas the same can't really be said for the SID or generally even the PLA. $20 for a clock chip is kinda high and those replacements I've seen look a little sketchy
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    True, I knew there were options but I kinda feel like they're a bit pricey at around $20 which is around the same price as replacement SID or PLA. At the moment, it's cheaper to get an 8701 vs the 8701 alternatives whereas the same can't really be said for the SID or generally even the PLA. $20 for a clock chip is kinda high and those replacements I've seen look a little sketchy
    All other solutions that I have seen, excluding mine, need an additional quartz crystal on the replacement PCB (that's additional cost and board space). I make my own design available as gerber files that anyone can use to order PCBs (it's like $1 for a PCB being small enough to be almost the identical size of the original 8701), then you have to solder pins, the chip and a few SMD resistors and capacitors. Parts are quite a bit less than $20 in price, then there's the time needed to assemble, test, etc.
    At least who spends time finding alternative solutions it's trying to make these old computers survive when the original spares can't be obtained anymore.
    So, if the final cost is not what you expect, I still think I'm glad I spend my time designing replacements, even if I don't sell any (so far I haven't even tried to sell them anyway).
    Frank IZ8DWF

Frank you should try selling some. Have a few diy it's or fully assembled me whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    So, if the final cost is not what you expect, I still think I'm glad I spend my time designing replacements, even if I don't sell any (so far I haven't even tried to sell them anyway).
    Frank IZ8DWF
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree that it's great to come up with replacements for these custom chips and we'll definitely need then eventually... I only meant that this is one chip that is still easy to come by and for a pretty low cost.

I completely understand though, I have a kaypro that has two bad custom chips and there is no way to replace them so I kinda had to abandon it for now.
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )