Image Map Image Map

Thread: Macintosh Hard Drive Partitioning Problems

Default Macintosh Hard Drive Partitioning Problems

I have two apple hard drives, one 6GB and one 1GB one, but both of them aren't recognized as their actual size. The 1gb has a 127 MB Mac OS partition, and the rest is split into four other partitions which I can't read or access. Similarly, the 6gb is only recognized as 2.7gb, and has (I think) 3 other non-Mac OS partitions. What can I do to remove these partitions and set up the whole disk for Mac OS? BTW, if anyone needs to know, they are both SCSI drives running on a Power Macintosh 6500. It is running mac os 8.1, but I just bought a retail copy of mac os 9.1 and it's going to arrive soon.

Blog Entries

Can you not do a straight-initialize with a single partition specified? That should obliterate anything present on the disk.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Any third part drive software should delete those partitions if you can't get apple drive software to do it.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

First, I was mistaken, only the 1Gb drive has partitioning problems. I can erase the drive, but it will only edit the 127MB partition. How would I initialize the drive, or what software would I sue to erase the partitions?

Boot from 8.1 or 9.1 CD and open drive setup. It should have no problem deleting the partitions or changing them to one partition. The 6500 uses IDE/ATA so it should see most any IDE drive and have no problems partitioning them. If all else fails you could plug it into a PC and us FDISK or DISKPART to wipe out the partitions.
    IIRC, there was some data loss issues with some installations of Mac OS that were installed on partitions greater then 8GB. I don't think 8.1 or 9.1 have those problems though, especially if you use HFS+. Since your drives are smaller then 8GB it shouldn't be a problem. But if you upgrade the HD to a larger size in the future it might be.

Check this link for more info:
    http://lowendmac.com/2014/maximum-hard-drive-size/
    Last edited by Zippy Zapp; November 30th, 2018 at 06:51 AM.