Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "I Can buy a new one for that" - No you can't

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    Damn right I was independent and rebellious. We only have a limited amount of time to be young and a limited amount of time on this earth. I certainly was not going to spend it doing home work and wasting my sundays at church. I once spent an entire summer at a conversion therapy camp in Wisconsin because he found out I am bi. Please you are not going change my mind on this. I hate controlling religious parents and always will.
    If you had done your homework, you might understand why it's better to charge a reasonable rate and get repeat business and referrals than to clean someone out once. The "rich guy" you ripped off certainly won't be coming back or recommending your services to any of his friends.

I always jack up the price when I feel they can afford it. I've even used the tactic of saying we cannot release the computer because it is unsafe in the case of me trying to get a battery replacement out of them. I then play a youtube video of a Li-Ion battery exploding. On especially unacknowledged people I even charge a $50 installation fee on batteries that simply snap right in and require no installation. This is on top of marking up eBay chinese knockoffs and charging the price that a genuine Dell or HP replacement costs. I don't even own the place, I just enjoy gouging the hell out of rich people. It makes me feel like I'm evening things out. On the other hand, this really cute swimmer boy in his first year of college, broke as hell. Barely had enough gas to drive to the store. When I saw the look of disappointment when I gave him our regular prices, and I realized he couldnt afford to fix his iPhone, let alone the macbook he brough along for diagnosis, I put it in the POS system as a "Good Will" repair. I told my boss and said that he can take the repairs for the iphone screen and Macbook battery out of my check if he felt he needed to. Boss chose not to. I also used my lunch break to go buy the kid a gift card to a popular local gas station for $100. I seriously just felt for him. Which is odd because I rarely feel compassion for anybody. So I guess what I am saying is i swing both ways.

I ... really ... can't believe ... someone let's all their ass hang out on a public forum. I hope you're not anticipating applause.

no applause. there is nothing to be embarassed of.

This thread has been closed.

If you want to continue this conversation or follow up on any comments, please do so using the private message system. In 2 days I will circle back and delete this thread entirely.

Why? Because even though this in the rants section, it is way far off topic for a vintage computing forum.