Image Map Image Map

Thread: 3 1/2" Floppy Drive Testing

Blog Entries

Default 3 1/2" Floppy Drive Testing

Before I pitch these 5 3 1/2" floppy drives wanted to ask if there was anything else I could test. None of them will read a known good floppy disk and I have done the following to each to try and fix them

Took Off Covers
    Cleaned the Drive Heads with 99% isopropyl and gave them ample time to dry
    Lubricated the Rails with Silicone Lubricant
    Cleaned the insides of the drive with compressed air and a q-tip

When connecting up the drives to a known good controller (tested with working drive), the drive sled moves up and back on floppy seek during post and there are no errors, but once DOS is fully booted and you try to read a disk in the drive, the sled doesnt move and the standard Error Reading Floppy message comes up....
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Blog Entries

Did you create (i.e. format and write) those floppies on the same drive?

Also, did the drives ever work in your system? (configuration error possibility)

Are they HD or DD drives?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Are they HD or DD drives?
    yeah, this... if it's an HD drive, feel free to pitch them.. DD drives are harder to come by, ESPECIALLY if they have the drive jumpers, so keep those.
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Blog Entries

They are all HD Drives
    I couldnt create and write the good floppies on these drives, they wont read the disk. The sled doesnt move when I try to access the drive, but moves fine on floppy seek.

I know I could just toss them but wasnt sure if there was something I could do (if just for fun) to try and fix them.....and learn more internally as I go.

Blog Entries

Have you played with IMD with these drives? It allows you to perform a lot of low-level access.

Check for jumpers. Particularly RDY / DC should be on DC and MM / MS should be on MM. If a newer drive, then there may not be any jumpers. Also make sure DS is set to 1 (assuming a PC)