Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What is the best storage media?

Quote Originally Posted by tezza View Post
    For personal archives, redundancy works for me. I don't have CD-ROMS or DVDs for this anymore. All my archives (about 750GB) are mirrored on Dropbox in the cloud, but also mirrored and synced on the working hard drives of three different computers, two at home, one on a laptop I travel with and one workstation at work.

Tez
    It literally takes me all night just to upload a single gigabyte somewhere. How do you manage 750GB?! Do you all have Gigabit ethernet connections directly to the Internet?

Assuming that today New Zealand has better internet than 2003 China, he probably does.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    It literally takes me all night just to upload a single gigabyte somewhere. How do you manage 750GB?! Do you all have Gigabit ethernet connections directly to the Internet?
    These have been amassed and uploaded over years. But it is helped by having an uber-fast Internet connection at work. When I first got a dropbox account (5-6 years ago?), the bulk of the stuff (which had been on CDs/DVDs) was shunted up from my work workstation. Even so, it took some hours...but once there, it is there. The content then tricked down (was mirrored) to my home machines over a day or so.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Assuming that today New Zealand has better internet than 2003 China, he probably does.
    Yes, in the cities and towns it's mostly fiber-optic based and pretty fast. Our pipes leading to other parts of the world seem to be high capacity.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

I'm limited to 10Mbps upload, another reason the cloud is not attractive to me. I do use OneDrive, but have frequently run into version issues when I shut down before the sync completes. Faster uploads are pretty costly here in SD.

This is where the rest of the civilised world puts the USA to shame. Our internet is limited by very, very greedy Government-assisted monopolies.

Blog Entries

You mean technically advanced countries, such as Lithuania or Uruguay?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    This is where the rest of the civilised world puts the USA to shame. Our internet is limited by very, very greedy Government-assisted monopolies.
    So you're anti-free-market utilities? Because in the rest of the civilized world the government owns and operates those utilities.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    So you're anti-free-market utilities? Because in the rest of the civilized world the government owns and operates those utilities.
    What free market utilities? We sure don't have them where I am. I'm all for the free market; but we don't have one here. It's freer than most but not free.

I don't like Government to own or operate anything. But clearly in some cases, total Government control works better than crony capitalism.

What happened to Ma Bell? I was all for the dissolution of that. But I regret it.

Blog Entries

The consent decree for the breakup of the Bell system was so that AT&T could sell computers. Judge Green did say he didn't like it, but his hands were tied by prior agreements made by the government.

Meanwhile, how about those AT&T computers? I dropped by Staples the other day, but I couldn't find a single one...