Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge out Chromium in

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I find myself cycling through different browsers as they become more or less (un)usable.
    That reminds me of antivirus. One year, Product A is fantastic and Product B sucks. Next year, it's the other way around. I find I jump around every couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Edge was something some people claimed to have wanted: a version of Internet Explorer that is closer to the standards which also omits much of the traditional IE idiosyncrasies. Bit late to market and not making it available to Windows 8 and even 7 rather slowed uptake. Not that many people racing to upgrade OS just for an extra browser option.
    I tried really hard to like Edge when Windows 10 was released. Unfortunately, the stability and sometimes speed were just not there. I eventually dropped it. I've heard that it is considerably better now and I've poked at it from time to time, but those months and months of trying to force myself to like it have left quite the negative impression. I'm looking forward to seeing how this latest development goes.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    I've been on Pale Moon ever since I discovered it. Not sure if it's all that lighter-weight than equivalent versions of Firefox, but just getting rid of that Australis abomination is reason enough to use it.
    In fairness, Mozilla has moved on from Australis to Photon. Photon is yugly, though. I put up with it in service of the larger goal of keeping Gecko relevant.

Anyway, Edge is the browser that absolutely nobody wants and nobody will be sorry to see it go, even if its death does serve to further the Google Browser Hegemony. Good riddance.
    Yes, unfortunately, what the world didn't need is more Chromium market share.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

One possible good thing is that the Chromified version of Microsoft Edge might be coming to Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and even Mac OS:

https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...dows-7-and-mac

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    One possible good thing is that the Chromified version of Microsoft Edge might be coming to Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and even Mac OS
    True. I'd read about it possibly being ported to MacOS but yeah, should be trivial porting it to past versions of Windows too at that point. That could be pretty cool.